FAUNet ID Password
FAU is committed to the highest integrity in securing its IT environment. The combination of your FAUNet ID and your password is the University standard for authentication for most University information systems. Your FAUNet ID password is synchronized across FAU systems so that you only need to remember one password to gain access to multiple computing services.
The following are requirements for selecting a new password:
- Your password must be 8 to 30 characters in length.
- Your password should contain a mix of at least 3 of the 4 character types: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numeric digits, and symbols.
- Your password should not contain your username, first name, or last name.
- Your new password must not repeat any of your previous 6 passwords.
- If your password is older than 1 year you will be required to change it at next login.
- You will be notified 30 and 15 days prior to your password expiration date and be allowed to change your password from those dates onward.
The following guidelines will help you create a strong password:
- Use a combination of upper- and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols (e.g., @ & $ ! # % ^ + -).
- Never use your username as your password.
- Never use any form of your name, pet's name, or other name readily associated with you.
- Never use a word found in the dictionary.
- Change your password regularly, at least every 180 days.
The following are examples of good passwords. Use these examples as models to create your password.
The following are standard practices to help you keep your computer and accounts secure:
- Use password-protected screen savers (on a PC, go to Start\Control Panel\ Display, select the Screen Saver tab, and check the box for "On resume password protect").
- When you leave your desk, always lock your computer (Ctrl + Alt + Del) or log off so your computer is protected by your password while you are away.
- Never write your password on a Post-It note and tape it on your monitor, place it under your keyboard, or put it anywhere in your desk.
- Never share your password.
- Select a password that is easy to remember. Longer passwords are generally much more secure. A long password is much more difficult to break than a shorter password with a higher level of complexity.
Note: If you are unsuccessful in resetting your password, contact the OIT Help Desk at 561-297-3999.