For all EMERGENCY CALLS dial 9-1-1
Building (69) Boca Raton Campus
Department of Emergency Management
The Department of Emergency Management (DEM) is a part of the Division of Administrative Affairs.
Our mission is to coordinate and facilitate Florida Atlantic University’s emergency preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation activities to protect our students, faculty, staff, resources and infrastructure in order to maintain or restore University operations. This is achieved through building, sustaining and improving individual, unit and university readiness and resilience.
BE OWL READY!
Launch of new Preparedness and Safety App!
Click here to learn about FAU's new preparedness, safety and security initiative and how to download the Owl Ready app!
Hurricane Season is here! Are you Owl Ready?
Now is the time to ensure you are prepared for a possible tropical weather event!
Receiving or Accessing Information
- The safety of students, faculty and staff is our top concern. Should a tropical storm or hurricane approach any FAU campus, the University will disseminate important information through a variety of communication platforms, including email, telephone calls, text messages, social media, and updates posted to FAU webpages, such as the University advisory page.
- To make sure you receive the latest information in the event of any emergency via phone or text message, please take a few minutes to verify your emergency contact information is up to date by visiting here, under the “How Do I Sign Up?” section.
- To ensure that you recognize FAU Alert phone calls, save 888-832-8695 (888-8FAUOWL) as the “FAU Alert” number to your phone.
- If a storm does threaten our area, the National Hurricane Center will issue advisories, including watches and warnings, to their website.
Planning and Preparedness
Preparation is key to remaining safe if a hurricane or tropical storm affects our area. Have an emergency plan in place for yourself, your family, your pets and your home.
- Be Prepared, Be Safe, Be Owl Ready! Download the Owl Ready app, FAU’s premiere preparedness and safety app today! This unique app features emergency guides, including tropical storm and hurricane guidance, turns your phone into a mobile blue light, gives you emergency contacts at your fingertips, provides multiple ways to report a safety/security concern directly to FAU, and a host of other tools. Learn about Owl Ready here.
- In addition to the Owl Ready app, information on preparing for, responding to, and recovering from hurricanes, such as unit emergency planning, creating emergency kits, and FAU action guides on weather events, including hurricanes, is available. Take a look around this website and find all sorts of preparedness gems and goodies!
- Resident students on the Boca Raton and Jupiter campuses can access the University Housing Hurricane Guide. Please work with your area office to inform them of your hurricane plan or for assistance in developing one.
- This is the time for all University units to have reviewed and updated emergency plans. Both essential and non-essential personnel play key roles preparing for, responding to, and recovering from hurricanes. Please discuss these roles and expectations with those who have emergency duties. - Information on the essential personnel program can be found here. Information addressing contracted service providers who perform essential duties on behalf of the University can be found here.
- The National Weather Service provides guidance on hurricane preparedness. Visit http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/prepare for more information.
The 2019 President's Emergency Planing Memo has been issued. Click here.
While unit planning efforts are year-round, this Memo sets the tone for:
* University planning efforts
* Unit planning efforts (and that they align with University planning efforts)
* Essential personnel management, designation and expectations
* Home-based emergency planning.
All plans are to be submitted via the University's secure, encrypted platform - FileLocker.
* Type https://filelocker.fau.edu/ into your browser and you will be led to the FAU Net ID Authentication Page. This will send a notification to the DUO platform you utilize to access other secure platforms, such as Workday.
* Follow the instructions to log in.
* Upload your plan documents.
* Once uploaded, click on the down-facing blue arrow next to the uploaded document and click "Share this File".
* This will prompt a User Id or Name search box to appear.
* Type in "Melonie Carmichael" into the search box and select the name once it appears.
* Click "Share".
Please note: Every document will need to be shared separately.
Check out our new FAU Alert video!