Summer Study Abroad Program in Dublin, Ireland
Did you know that, as a student studying Social Work, you can earn three credit hours while having the time of your life during a week in Dublin?
SOW 4930/6930: International Social Work in Ireland is a week-long summer abroad course offered each year that gives students an international perspective of cultural competence in social work and traces the emergence and history of Irish social services. Students also get an in-depth look at the social challenges affecting Ireland’s citizens, including the delivery methods of social services and the global immigration and refugee crisis.
As a student enrolled in this summer study abroad course, you will travel along with your fellow FAU students and multiple professors. Advising, orientation, and 24-hour support and assistance will be provided on-site so you can focus on having an amazing learning experience.
- Attend lectures at University College Dublin (UCD) on topics such as “Social Services in Ireland”
- Take a site visit to the Immigrant Council of Ireland, and other prominent organizations that serve immigrants and refugees throughout the country
- Hear from UCD faculty about the challenges their refugee and immigrant students face and what efforts they are making to assist
- Take a site visit to the Irish Refugee Council
- Take a site visit to Merchant’s Quay Ireland – Homeless and Drug Services, a substance abuse and homeless organization that administers Dublin’s needle-exchange program
- Explore Dublin during a guided walking tour
- Tour relevant Irish landmarks such as Dublin Castle, the EPIC Museum’s Immigration Exhibition, and the town of Howth, which promote critical examination of the historical, economic, religious and socio-political processes that shape social services and welfare in the region
- Attend lectures at UCD on topics such as the “Immigration and Refugee Crisis in Ireland”
- Enjoy a farewell group dinner
Course Details + How to Enroll
The summer study abroad course number is SOW 4930 for BSW students and SOW 6930 for MSW students. The program fee can be paid using FAU student financial aid or eligible scholarship funds. Scholarships may be available through the Sandler School of Social Work or the Education Abroad Department. See Summer 2020 travel dates, program fees and important links.
Questions? Please contact the program coordinator Patricia Gustaffson, LCSW:email@example.com or (561) 297-0073.