Explore Our Online Legal Nurse Consultant Certificate Program
Please explore our Legal Nurse Consultant Certificate Program using the sidebar menu on the left and the helpful information below. We look forward to receiving your application!
Legal nurse consultants bridge the gap between medicine and the judicial system, analyzing important medical information in solving cases. They help interpret and translate the subtleties involved in medical evidence and can play a huge role in case outcomes. At the completion of the course, you will receive 33 nursing continuing education contact hours that may be used toward state RN licensing renewal.
This eight-week course will introduce the participant to the basic concepts of Legal Nurse Consulting, including terminology common to litigation, the role the nurse consultant might perform in a variety of settings, report writing and documentation, participation in trials and hearings, and performing legal research.
Additional discussion will focus on the basic information useful for starting a practice as an independent consultant or working for an established business.
Participants will secure an interview with a legal professional (LNC, attorney, risk manager, adjuster, etc.) and prepare a 10-minute summary presentation via web conference to the class and instructor.
Participants will also research a legal issue using the guidelines provided and present the issue and facts by PowerPoint presentation posted to the course site.
Legal Nurse Consultant Certified (LNCC) exam is a discretionary test separate from this course that experienced registered nurses graduating from this class may decide to sit for. LNCC test eligibility requirements are discussed during this training course; however, RNs graduating from this course need not take the LNCC in order to practice as legal nurse consultants.
- In-house nurse consultant in a law firm
- In-house nurse consultant with an insurance company
- Independent practice as a LNC
- Life Care Planner
- Medical Analyst
- Medical investigator in public service
All lectures are available on-demand for maximum convenience. The course instructor will also host three (3) live meetings online throughout the semester as an opportunity for students to check in and talk through questions as a group. If time zone constraints make it difficult to attend the group sessions, the course instructor will work with those students to arrange one-on-one web meetings as needed. We look forward to receiving your application!
This program is open to Registered Nurses who have completed at least 3 years of clinical nursing experience. Prospective students must complete an application form and submit it along with a copy of RN license and proof of three years of clinical nursing experience.
- The program is 100% online and designed for working professionals.
- The class is asynchronous, meaning there are no live class sessions. However, there will be three web conferences offered during the term (usually during the 2nd week, midway through and towards the end of the class). These dates will be provided by the instructor at the beginning of the term.
- The certificate program is offered twice per year - in April and in October.
- Applications are currently being accepted for the spring class, which will be offered from April 4 - May 22, 2023.
- Tuition for this program is $1000.00.
- All program graduates will receive a certificate of completion and 33 continuing education credit hours for the nursing profession.
Application & Admission Process
Applications must be submitted no later than March 31, 2023.
- Complete the application form, including uploading (1) a copy of your RN license and (2) a letter from your present or previous employer verifying your three or more years of clinical nursing experience.
- Once you have submitted your application, including uploading all required materials, we will confirm receipt of your application package.
- Once we have reviewed your application package, we will inform you via email of our decision. If you are accepted to the program, you will receive registration and payment instructions.