Graduate Student Resources
Plan of Study
MA students must develop a plan of study in consultation with the Graduate Director and submit it to the Graduate College. The plan of study must be filed with the Graduate College before the completion of 18 credits of graduate course work. An approved and accurate plan of study must be on file prior to the semester in which the student plans to graduate.
Students must submit an application for graduation in the first three weeks of the student’s final semester in the program.
SSS Sociology Conference
In recent years, some of our graduate students have presented at the Southern Sociological Society conference.
Upcoming SSS Meetings
- April 1-April 4, 2020 in Jacksonville, FL
- April 7-April 10, 2021 in New Orleans, LA
How To Submit to SSS:
- Become A Student Member of SSS, click here to join
- Pay Your Dues, annual dues: $25 + meeting fees: $30 = total: $55
- Write Your Abstract (Follow the submission guidelines for paper or poster sessions)
- Submit Your Abstract by the Deadline (usually late October/early November)
- Go to the SSS Conference Submission Portal on their website
- Be sure to have your Submission Title, Submission Type (Paper, Roundtable, Poster), Abstract, and Keywords ready
- Plan Transportation and Hotels
- Apply for Conference Travel Funding
- Practice Your Presentation
Other Sociology Associations and Conferences
Upcoming ASA Meetings
- August 8-11, 2020 in San Francisco, CA
- August 7-10, 2021 in Chicago, IL
- August 6-9, 2022 in Los Angeles, CA
Eastern Sociological Society
Upcoming ESS Meetings
- February 27-March 1, 2020 in Philadelphia, PA
- February 18-21, 2021 in New York, NY
- March 10-13, 2022 in Boston, MA
FAU 3 Minute Thesis Competition
Each Fall, FAU's Graduate College hosts the University's Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition. This exciting opportunity is open to any active FAU graduate student in good academic standing with the University. This competition provides all participants with a unique and invaluable professional development experience and championship winners are awarded research scholarships and awards up to $2,500, with the possibility to win up to $5,500 to support one's graduate research.
Florida Atlantic University's Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) hosts a Research Day, in which Graduate Students are eligible to display their research to fellow students, staff, and faculty. Prizes are awarded to the top poster presentations.
Skill and Professional Development Resources