Diversity, Equity, and inclusion
The School of Communication and Multimedia Studies Program (SCMS) is proud of the rich cultural diversity among our faculty, staff and students, and offers a vast array of courses on topics which address: Ethnicity, Race, Gender Identity, Religion, Nationality, Age, Sexual Orientation, Socio-Economic Status, and Abilities.
In the SCMS Program…
- We value humanity and encourage intellectual growth in pursuit of truth, justice, and equality.
- We are committed to attracting the best and brightest from every group, including those who have historically and/or traditionally experienced discrimination, marginalization, or prejudice.
- We recognize that dialogue between and with people from different cultural backgrounds, heritages, perspectives, beliefs, and values enhances the academic experience and possibilities for serious public and intellectual inquiry.
- We encourage research, creative activity, and civic engagement that reflects those experiences that arise out of the diversity of our community.
- We advocate creating an environment that respects the dignity, self-determination, and civil rights of all persons, and recognizes that intolerance and prejudice diminish those possibilities.
- We are dedicated to the Honor principle, which promotes each of us to actively maintain an open-mind and generous heart to welcome and support all its members.
- We recognize that every member of the community has a right to be respected, and to speak, teach, work, and learn free from intolerance or harassment.
- We acknowledge that every member of the SCMS community benefits from the talents and experiences of our peers, from the mutual respect we exercise on a daily basis, and from the responsibilities we take for our actions.
- We recognize that each of us deserves an equal opportunity to teach, to learn, and to grow in a supportive academic community.
The School of Communication and Multimedia Studies at Florida Atlantic University is home to multiple communication related journals, research initiatives, community partnerships, and ongoing projects.
- The Journal of Literacy and Technology, celebrating its 20th anniversary!
A truly unique collaboration between SCMS and Living Room Theaters provides the community with first-run, independent, and all digital cinema from around the globe during evening hours. During the day, LRT provides graduate students with four state-of-the-art theaters in which to teach and screen films.
Digital media intitatives at SCMS form a broad collection of forums investigating the current state of digital media culture, design, and production, including:
- Ethical XR 2019: A Multidisciplinary Symposium on the Future of Extended Reality
- MODS-Apptitude AR App Development and STEAM Summer School
- XR (Extended Reality) Courses & Research - Virtual Reality, Agmented Reality, and Spatial Computing
- Wavelengths – classical music radio
- South Florida Journal – audio journal
- meme™ - MTEn Experimental Media Ensemble
- Flamingo Film Festival – international festival of student films
- 1:1 Super-8 Cinema Soireé
- SIGGRAPH Community Events