MSCV Program Requirements
All students must comply with the College's admission requirements noted under the Master's Degree Program Information header above. Once students meet all College requirements, all applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Students with non-engineering bachelor's degrees, click here for additional requirements. Students are normally admitted to the Master of Science in with Major Civil Engineering program if they:
1. Possess a baccalaureate degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related engineering field. Students with foreign credentials are required to have a general, not course-by-course, evaluation of their credentials. A GPA evaluation is not necessary. Foreign credentials are evaluated by an independent evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). For a list of member evaluation services, please visit the NACES website.
2. Have achieved a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade point average in the last 60 credits of undergraduate work;
3*. Students are required to take the 0-credit CGN5937 Graduate Seminar course for 1 semester;
4*. Have taken the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), click here for more information. There is no minimum required score. A GRE score no more than 5 years old is required. Applicants with a Civil or Environmental Engineering bachelor's degree from any ABET-accredited program are not required to take the GRE. Applicants who have passed Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) are not required to take the GRE;
5. Students with non-engineering backgrounds are required to take the GRE and remedial coursework as recommended by the CEGE graduate committee;
6. Have demonstrated proficiency in both written and spoken English. Students from non-English-speaking countries are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and achieve a score of 550 or 213 (computer-based);
8. Distance Learning students must comply with the College of Engineering and Computer Science Distance Education guidelines noted under the Master's Degree Program Information header above.
*Please note that this change is effective for students admitted to the program Fall 2019 or later.
The degree of Master of Science with Major in Civil Engineering (MSCV) is awarded to the candidate that has:
- complied with University graduate policies and regulations,
- satisfied the University's graduate degree requirements, and
- satisfactorily completed the appropriate Program of Study for the degree option selected.