Diving and Boating Board
About the Diving and Boating Board
On March 25, 2019 the committee previously known as the Diving and Boating Safety Committee (DBSC) has changed its name to become the Diving and Boating Board (DBB) as described by the American Academy of Underwater Sciences (AAUS).
It is the goal of the DBB to promote the safety, availability, and accessibility of Diving and Boating activities for research and education, aligned with FAU's academic and research mission.
Florida Atlantic University, Diving and Boating Board
- John Baldwin, Ph.D., DBB Chair, Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
- Matthew Ajemian, Ph.D., Assistant Research Professor, HBOI
- Michael Brady, Ph.D., Dept. Chair & Professor, Dept. of Exceptional Student Education
- Tanja Godenschwege, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
- Elizabeth McNamee, B.S., Diving & Boating Safety Officer (Primary DBSO), Environmental Health & Safety
- Chelsea Bennice, Ph.D., Assistant to the Director of the ASCEND Program, Division of Research
- Non-Voting Members
- Wendy Ash Graves, CSP, Director, Environmental Health & Safety, Ex-Officio
- James Nelson, Diving & Boating Safety Officer (Secondary DBSO), DBSO Alternate Member, HBOI
DBB Chair, Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
Wendy Ash Graves, CSP
Director, Environmental Health and Safety
Elizabeth (Lizzie) McNamee
Diving and Boating Safety Officer, EH&S
Diving and Boating Safety Officer, Harbor Branch at FAU
Diving and Boating Safety Program (EH&S)
For information about the Diving and Boating Safety Program visit the EH&S website here.
The Diving and Boating Safety (DBS) Manual provides an overview of the diving and boating safety program including policies & regulations, training certification requirements, medical standards, forms and other guidelines. Click here to view the working draft of the current DBS Manual.
DBB Guidance Documents
FAU Qualified Boat Operator Training Requirements
Applicability of the Diving and Boating Release and Waiver of Liability
MOCC Training Requirements
First Aid/CPR Training Requirements
Training Requirements for non-Motorized canoes, kayaks, and paddleboards
DBB Meeting Minutes
DBB Meeting Dates
DBB Meeting Dates
3rd Wednesday of the month
|September 14, 2020||September 16, 2020|
|October 19, 2020||October 21, 2020|
|November 16, 2020||November 18, 2020|
|December 14, 2020||December 16, 2020|
|Spring 2021 TBA||Spring 2021 TBA|
The DOI-MOCC Motorboat Operator course is required of all new FAU boat operators and includes one day of online training required prior to class and two days of field instruction.
Prospective candidates should complete and return the FAU Boat Safety Program Boat Application with a PI/Supervisor signature, as soon as possible. There are limited seats, assigned on a first come basis. Please return applications to FAU Diving and Boating Safety Officers Lizze McNamee or Jimmy Nelson.
Visit the Environmental Health & Safety Boating Safety Program page for information on training dates and requirements.