Master of Fine Arts
in Theatre Performance
The FAU MFA program is dedicated to celebrating and nurturing individuals who aspire to become well-rounded, employable theatre artists. Working within a supportive and creative environment, we challenge our students, through classroom study and the practical application of learned skills, to become the best artists that they can be and we take pride in preparing our grads for careers as working professionals or future academics.
The highly selective MFA program is a two-year, 60 credit terminal degree, consisting of classroom study, practical performance, production experience, teaching opportunities, and the completion of a graduate thesis. Ten students are accepted into the cohort every other year, ensuring maximized dedication and attention from faculty towards each student's growth as a performer and teaching artist, as well as the creation of an ensemble sense of work and spirit within the cohort.
Are you interested in the FAU MFA in Theatre?
Students follow a rigorous curriculum that includes exploration of various genres and periods including Modern and American Realism, Classical forms including Elizabethan and Restoration, and more contemporary styles such as Absurdism and other anti-realistic forms. Also included are conservatory-style voice, speech and movement courses which incorporate the techniques of Fitzmaurice, Linklater, Knight-Thompson, Rodenburg, Laban, Alexander, and Viewpoints. Students become extensively trained in IPA and master many different dialects, including RP (Classic/Modern), Cockney, Estuary, and ATS. Acting techniques explored are primarily Stanislavsky based systems including techniques from Michael Chekhov, Uta Hagen and others.
There is no shortage of performance opportunities, and students combine classroom experience with practical experience through performance. FAU produces four mainstage shows per school year, and MFAs spend two summers honing their skills in our Festival Repertory Theatre, in which they have the opportunity to perform alongside actors who are members of Actors' Equity Association. This also allows students to earn EMC points towards their own Equity membership. All graduate candidates are required to pass an audition/interview or portfolio review/interview process for acceptance into the program.
Other MFA Performance benefits include:
- A competitive financial package for each student, which includes a full tuition waiver as well as an assistantship to cover living expenses. There are also several other graduate scholarships/grants offered by the University.
- Classes in Career Prep, Script Analysis, Dramatic Theory, and electives ranging from Musical Theatre to Acting for the Camera
- Extensive training in Stage Combat, with the opportunity to become certified in Unarmed Stage Combat, (and for some students Armed as well)
- A close working relationship with our on-campus AEA theatre, Theatre Lab; our graduate students perform in their readings, festivals, and occasionally shows, as well as intern with the theatre as part of their Graduate Assistantship. For more info see: http://fau.edu/artsandletters/theatrelab/
- A large community of professional theatres nearby, including: Palm Beach Dramaworks, Maltz Jupiter, The Wick, MNM, and Slow Burn
- Faculty that work at many professional theatres nearby as directors, fight choreographers, designers, etc, and are able to bring students in to assist on/perform in projects
For graduate faculty bios, see: http://www.fau.edu/artsandletters/theatre/our-faculty/
Take a look at our current graduate cohort: http://www.fau.edu/artsandletters/theatre/graduatep/ourgrads/ourgrads/
The minimum standard for Graduate Admissions is 3.0 GPA on the last 60 semester/90 quarter hours of credit received prior to receiving the baccalaureate degree, or successful completion of a master's degree from an accredited institution. Up to six credits beyond the baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution may be transferred at the discretion of the Department.
For more information about the University's graduate school application process,
visit the graduate studies application page.