There are two steps to becoming a music major at Florida Atlantic University:
1) Apply to Florida Atlantic University. Prospective students should try and complete this process at least a few weeks ahead of their scheduled audition date:
- For Undergraduate students - Apply for admission and submit all required credentials: SAT/ACT scores and Self-Reported Academic Record (SSAR), then schedule your audition with the Department of Music. After the audition the Department of Music will notify the Office of Admissions who is being offered a seat in the Department. If a student is both academically, and talent-based, admissible to FAU, the Office of Admissions will inform the student of their acceptance.
- For Graduate students - Apply for admission via the graduate college, who will collect required documents, including college transcripts, through the GradCAS system.
2) Perform a successful audition on your principle instrument or voice (or, for some programs, submit a portfolio) to the FAU Department of Music. To begin this process, please fill out an audition application below:
Important Note: You will not hear about your acceptance to the University until after you have played your audition to the Department of Music.
Transfer Students: Transfer students planning to enter with an Associate of Arts degree may prepare for entry by completing the courses included in the following curricular charts:
- Bachelor of Music Education
- Bachelor of Music: Commercial Music
- Bachelor of Music: Performance
- Bachelor of Arts in Music
International Students: International students can visit FAU's International Student Services for more help with their application.
Scholarship Audition Dates for 2023-2024 entry:
- October 8th, 2022
- February 4th, 2023 (last date for Master of Music Graduate Teaching Assistantship consideration)
- March 4th, 2023 (last date for guaranteed Scholarship Consideration)
Starting in Fall 2021, we are returning to in-person auditions for admission and merit-based scholarship consideration. You can select your audition date when applying for an audition above.
If you are unable to provide an in-person audition, you must consult with the director of your performance area for permission to submit a video audition. You may be required to have a follow-up interview over Zoom as well. You will receive the same consideration for entry into the music program as you would in a live audition. To be considered for a merit scholarship, your audition must be in-person.
Click here for more information on submitting a video audition.
Audition materials, by primary instrument/voice/area:
- Classical Guitar
- Electric Guitar
- Electric Bass
- Orchestral Strings
Graduate Application Portfolio Requirements
- Wind Conducting
- Choral Conducting
- Commercial Music
- Performance (see the above list)
The FAU Department of Music awards a myriad of talent-based scholarships for music majors with high musical achievement and strong academic records. Scholarship consideration is based on audition performance.
Plan a Visit
We would love for you to come and say hi, so we can show you around! The Department of Music office is located in the Arts and Humanities building on FAU's Boca Raton campus. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information on planning your visit.