Undergraduate Academic Petitions Process
Effective Date: 4-25-2013
The College of Engineering and Computer Science procedures to file an undergraduate academic petition are as follows:
The college degree-seeking undergraduate student should submit their petition to the Division of Engineering Student Services and Advising (DESSA), Engineering East, suite 102, FAU Boca Raton campus. A non-degree-seeking student wishing to withdraw from two or more course(s) must submit an application to FAU Freshman Advising Academic Services. The college petitions process does not address cases of grievances with instructors or tuition matters. Medical withdrawals and exceptional circumstance withdrawals are processed in the Associate Vice President and Dean of Students Office, SS 8, room 226, up to two weeks before the semester ends.
- Petitioners must fill out an Undergraduate Petition form. The appropriate form and guidelines can be picked up at the DESSA office, Engineering East, suite 102.
- Petitioners must provide all documentation supporting the request to DESSA at the time of submitting the petition. The petition will not be accepted by the DESSA office until ALL the required documentation is completed (excluding the instructor forms). The petition will be processed within two weeks after DESSA receives ALL the required documents by the petitioner.
- Petitions will not be accepted after the student has graduated.
- Petitions for late withdrawals from a course or from all classes more than one year old will be denied. Only under extenuating circumstances, the petition MAY be considered based on the discretion of the Student Services Director of DESSA or their designee.
- The Student Services Director of DESSA or their designee may choose to interview the petitioners before making the appropriate recommendation pertaining to a particular petition.
- The Student Services Director of DESSA or their designee will communicate a recommendation for each petition to the Chair of the college Undergraduate Studies Committee.
- The Chair of the college Undergraduate Studies Committee may consult the committee members before making the final decision pertaining to each particular petition.
- The Chair of the college Undergraduate Studies Committee will sign the petition as the college representative and send the appropriate paperwork to the Registrar's office.
- The decision of the Undergraduate Studies Committee will be communicated to the petitioner in writing from the Student Services Director of DESSA or their designee by mail or email within ten business days of the decision.
If a student receives a denial notice they may appeal the decision within two weeks of receiving the notice. The Dean of the College or his designee (e.g., Associate Dean for Academic Affairs) will make the final decision pertaining to the appeal.