The quality of the philosophy program at FAU is enhanced by an active research faculty that produces numerous professional publications, both at the national and the international levels.
Below are listed recent faculty accomplishments, including recent publications, with a link to access the publication when available.
For a full list of faculty accomplishments and publications, please consult the faculty CVs, which can be accessed at the bottom of each faculty member's page. The faculty member pages can be accessed by clicking on individual names on the department faculty page.
From Atoms to Living Systems: A Chemical and Philosophical Journey into Modern and Contemporary Science, with Giovanni Villani (under contract with Oxford University Press) – Forthcoming in 2022
- "The Limits of Classical Extensional Mereology for the Formalization of Whole-Parts Relations in Quantum Chemical Systems", in Philosophies, Special Issue on Logic and Science, edited by Fabien Pailluson, Volume 5, Issue 3, pp. 1-16 – Link Link
- "The Changing Relation Between Atomicity and Elementarity From Lavoisier to Dalton”, in What is a Chemical Element? A Collection of Essays by Chemists, Philosophers, Historians, and Educators, edited by Elena Ghibaudi and Eric Scerri (Oxford: Oxford University Press) – Link Link
"The Inadequacy of Husserlian Formal Mereology for the Regional Ontology of Quantum Chemical Wholes", in Thomas Seebohm on the Foundation of the Sciences: An Analysis and Critical Appraisal, edited by Thomas Nenon, Series: Contributions to Phenomenology (Dordrecht: Springer, 2020), pp. 135-151 – Link Link
Race, Philosophy and Being: Working Through the Contestability of Race and Philosophy (New York: Lexington Books) - Forthcoming
- George Yancy: A Critical Reader, edited by Clevis Headley (New York: Rowman and Littlefield)
"What Can the Philosophy of Chemistry Contribute to Critical Philosophy of Race: The Case of Phlogiston and Race, Foundations of Chemistry - Forthcoming
"James Baldwin's Existential Ontology: On Writing Race, Being, and Existential Philosophy" - Forthcoming
- "How to Catch an AI Zombie: Testing for Consciousness in Machines", in Ethics of AI, edited by M. Liao (Oxford: Oxford University Press).
- "AI, Brain Enhancement and the Future of the Mind", with Cody Turner, The Oxford Handbook of Ethics of AI (Oxford: Oxford University Press) - Forthcoming
- "Engineering the Mind: The Scope and Limits of AI Technology", Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Technology, edited by Shannon Vallor (Oxford: Oxford University Press) - Forthcoming
- "Designing the Mind?", Special issue on varieties of mind, Mind and Language - Forthcoming
For more information about Dr. Shusterman's many recent publications, lectures, conference presentations, upcoming events, and other news, please visit his website .