Now Accepting Applications
for the 2023-2024 English Honors Cohort
The English Honors Program provides an opportunity for our best and brightest English majors to engage in advanced research in a supportive community of undergraduate peers. The program is designed for students who
- plan to pursue a graduate degree in a variety of fields, including literature, writing, rhetoric, communication, library studies, and law.
- want to quantify their research skills and demonstrate research proficiency to future employers.
- want to develop problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills that will enable them to excel in their chosen career field or field of study.
English Honors Eligibility
Course & Credit Eligibility: To be eligible, by the end of Spring 2023, applicants should have
- completed at least 60 credits towards their B.A. degree and 15 1 credits towards the English Major
- completed or be enrolled in ENG 3822: Introduction to Literary Studies OR LIT 3213: Literary Theory / PHI 3882: Philosophy of Literature 2
GPA Eligibility: 3 Applicants should have a GPA 4 of 3.0 and a GPA in the English Major of 3.5 or higher.
The English Honors Program entails taking two related courses (3 credits each), taken in the fall and spring and completing an Honors thesis between 20-40 pages.
Fulfillment & Honors Designation
On satisfactory completion of the requirements below, at graduation, students will receive the designation "Honors in English" on their transcripts. At their graduation ceremony, honors students and may wear an FAU silver/white/blue double cord in recognition of their academic achievement and honors status.
- Fulfillment of all normal field distribution requirements for the English major.
- Completion, with a grade of "B" or higher, of Honors Seminar and of Honors Research.
- Achievement of an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and a GPA of at least 3.5 in all English courses at the time of graduation.
- Completion of a thesis of substance and quality that meets with the approval of the course instructor and/or thesis director.
Students in the Honors Track in English who complete all requirements, but who do not meet the GPA requirements for honors at the time of graduation, will receive credit for all work completed, but will not be certified as having received honors. Students who engage in academic dishonesty will be dismissed from the Honors program and face additional penalties from the university.
2023-2024 English Honors Program ApplicationFor more information please contact Julia Mason at email@example.com.