CLASS Civic Literacy Workshops
All Florida college students must satisfy a civic literacy requirement in order to graduate. It is strongly recommended that this be completed during the first-year at FAU. This requirement* can be met by passing a civic literacy exam which can be taken at the FAU Testing Center. This test is offered in-person at NO CHARGE throughout the semester. This applies to in-person testing only which is offered Monday-Friday at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Make an appointment at www.fau.edu/testing. Students may take the online/remote Civic Literacy exam by clicking to enroll in the Canvas course for the test . While the exam is still free, this online test requires a $12.75 charge to cover the service for Honorlock for online proctoring which you pay within the Canvas course when you attempt the test. The test is available 24/7 online.
All workshops are FREE and open to any FAU student. Each workshop is offered 3 times per month during fall and spring semesters (workshops are offered online, enroll in the Canvas course for live online sessions or to view recordings of workshops and download study materials. To be best prepared, students should attend all workshop sessions prior to taking the exam.
Ways to Attend & Participate in Workshops
As you prepare to take the Civic Literacy test to satisfy your graduation requirement, there are multiple resources to help you:
- Attend a FREE 3-part workshop series on the Boca Raton campus (see days/times below).
- These in-person workshops focus on U.S. History and the Structure of Government (workshop 1), Landmark US Supreme Court Cases (workshop 2) and a practice test and review (workshop 3).
- Attend selected workshops live online (synchronous) .
- Can’t attend the workshops in person on the Boca Campus? On selected dates, the workshops will be offered online AND in-person. So feel free to join us from anywhere you get an Internet connection. Self-enroll in this Canvas course. You can download the handouts and practice quiz and participate real-time in the workshops!
- Pursue self-guided study with recorded workshops (asynchronous).
- Do our workshop times not match your availability? Self-enroll in the Civic Literacy test preparation Canvas course and watch a recording of the workshops. Download the handouts and even take the practice quiz.
Workshop Times and Locations
*NOTE: Students may also satisfy the Civic Literacy requirement by completing certain FAU courses such as POS 2041 and AMH 2020 or through minimum scores on certain other Advanced Placement and CLEP tests. Students starting at a Florida college or University in fall 2018 or later must satisfy this requirement. Ask your academic advisor if you are on track to graduate!
If you have any questions about our workshops or the civic literacy requirement, please contact us today.
Phone: 561 - 297 - 0906