Owl-to-Owl Volunteer Tutoring program
Florida Atlantic University’s Owl-to-Owl Volunteer Tutoring program is designed to benefit the student body by offering them an even greater amount and variety of academic course support. Interested in gaining fantastic experience while helping your fellow Owls?
Benefits of becoming an OtO Volunteer Tutor:
- Earn 35+ volunteer hours and have your hours recorded on your transcripts for future employers, and/or professional or graduate schools to see!
- 22 tutoring hours (minimum)
- 3 hours of shadowing
- 5 hours beginning-of-semester training
- 1 hour of self-reflection and supervisory evaluation
- 2 hours of semester training/workshops1 mid-semester
- 1 end of semester
- 2 hours of Canvas Discussions (includes time for readings, 0.5 hours for each x 4 discussions)
- Professional development
- Build leadership skills
- Become peer mentors
- Build upon skills that will help you improve your academic success skills
- Learn how to be an effective “academic coach” for students
- Have the opportunity to learn more about different offices/services across campus
- Network and build connections with other student leaders, administrators, and staff
- Great way for pre-professionals to review material and prep for admissions exams
- Letter of Recommendation
- Receive tutor training that can be included on résumés which can increase your odds in finding employment as a tutor elsewhere!
- Experiences and skills gained through the program provide fantastic résumé builders!
- Gain experience to increase your chances of being selected to join our team as a paid tutor/SIL the following semester
OtO Volunteer Tutor Requirements:
- Minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA
- A- or better in the course(s) you’re planning to tutor in.NOTE: The OtO Tutoring program does NOT offer support in math or writing-intensive courses.
- Must agree to a semester-long commitment.
- Must attend all training. (Training will count towards volunteer hours.)
- Must tutor a minimum of 2 hours per week and adhere to scheduled hours for the entirety of the semester. (Please note: The OtO Tutoring program does not currently support math or writing intensive courses.)
Ready to Apply?
Deadline: Application and Deadline for FALL 2022 Coming Soon!
If you have any questions about FAU's Owl-to-Owl volunteer tutoring program or the application process, please contact Guy Andrew Burns, Assistant Director of Academic Support Services by email at email@example.com or by phone at 561-297-3013.