Home / Graduate College / Graduate Assistantships / Health Insurance

Student Health Insurance Plan for GAs, GRAs, and GTAs


OVERVIEW

FAU’s 2021-2022 Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for full time Graduate Assistants, Graduate Teaching Assistants, and Graduate Research Assistants (GAs, GRAs, and GTAs) will be provided through UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company  and underwritten by Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk.  Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk also works with several other state university student health insurance programs. Usually FAU will pay for 75% of the annual SHIP premium cost, the remaining 25% of the annual premium cost will be pro-rated by term and charged to the student account's FAU account. For the 2021-2022 academic year, the Graduate College has absorbed the insurance premium increase, therefore the student will not be affected by the increase in the current academic year.


ELIGIBILITY

Graduate assistants must meet the following requirements to remain eligible for health insurance at a reduced cost:

  • Maintain employment under one full time assistantship (0.50 FTE, 20 hours per week) or two half time assistantships (each must be at least 0.25 FTE, 10 hours per week)
  • Maintain full-time equivalent enrollment in the Fall and Spring semesters. If student qualified for the insurance waiver under the tuition and insurance policy in the spring semester, enrollment in the summer semester is not required to be eligible for the insurance waiver for the summer semester
  • In order to receive the Graduate College’s insurance waiver, the assistantship(s) received must include a stipend and 100% tuition waiver that aligns with the Tuition Benefits Policy for Graduate Students

COST AND ENROLLMENT PROCESS

Domestic Graduate Assistants:

  • Domestic students on assistantship will pay the reduced amount of $820.75 to enroll in the 2020-2021 annual plan; charges will post to your student account as follows: 
    • Fall 2021 charge: $315.00  (coverage from 8/14/2021 through 12/31/2021)
    • Spring/Summer 2022 charge: $505.75 (coverage from 1/01/2022 through 8/13/2022)
    • Most students will choose annual coverage, however, for students interested in Summer 2022 coverage only, the cost is $215.75 (coverage 5/10/2022 through 8/13/2022)
  • The Graduate College will post a 75% payment to the student's FAU account the week after the add/drop date for all students opted into the SHIP
  • The remaining 25% of the annual premium cost must be paid by student the University’s tuition and fees deadline each semester. For the fall semester, the last day for students receiving waivers to pay their balance is October 25, 2021
  • Domestic Students should visit Gallagher’s website and log in to the 2021-2022 FAU Student Insurance Plan - Domestic Graduate Assistants section to enroll into the student health insurance plan (SHIP)

International Graduate Assistants: 

  • International students on assistantship will pay the reduced amount of $360.00 to enroll in the 2021-2022 annual plan; charges will post to student's FAU account as follows:
    • Fall 2021 charge: $138.25  (coverage from 8/14/2021 through 12/31/2021)
    • Spring 2022 charge (includes Summer): $221.75 (coverage from 1/01/2022 through 8/13/2022)
    • Most students will be enrolled in annual coverage, however, for students enrolled in Summer 2022 coverage only, the cost is $94.75 (coverage 5/10/2022 through 8/13/2022)
  • In accordance with FAU Regulation 4.009, international students will be automatically enrolled in the plan. International students who wish to use an alternate insurance plan must submit a waiver form by August 12. To submit a waiver, go to: www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU . If approved, please be aware that alternate insurance is not eligible for a 75% payment
  • The Graduate College will post a 75% payment to the student's FAU account the week after the add/drop date for all students opted into the SHIP
  • The remaining 25% of the annual premium cost must be paid by the University's tuition and fees payment deadline each semester
  • International students should visit Gallagher’s website and log in to the Student Health Insurance Plan - International Students & International Graduate Assistants section to enroll into the student health insurance plan (SHIP)

SUMMARY OF BENEFITS AND COVERAGE

Eligible graduate assistants (GAs, GRAs, and GTAs) with domestic status: 

Eligible graduate assistants (GAs, GRAs, and GTAs) with international status: 


CONTACT

Questions?

Question Type Contact
Insurance waiver qualification and posting to student's FAU account gabenefits@fau.edu
Insurance enrollment, coverage, and website or technical support Phone: (833) 468-9571
https://go.gallagherstudent.com/en/Universities/Florida-Atlantic-University/Home/Help-Center
 Last Modified 8/5/21