- Deadline approaching soon: FWS Peformance Appraisal deadlines and FAQ.
Need Based Employment Programs:
Federal Work Study (FWS)
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need-based federally funded part-time employment program, which allows eligible students to earn money to help pay for education expenses. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year to be considered for federal financial aid, including FWS. Keep in mind that students are awarded on a "first come" basis. FAU has a variety of student employment opportunities, including Internship and Research opportunities funded by FWS.
- New Work Study Students: Students who have never been awarded Federal Work Study should create an account in Handshake and start applying for Work Study jobs.
- Returning Work Study Students: Students who have already been awarded Federal Work Study may either return to their existing Work Study job or apply for a new one on Handshake.
Florida Work Experience Program (FWEP)
The Florida Work Experience Program (FWEP) is a need-based state funded program, which allows eligible students the opportunity to secure work experiences complementary to and which reinforce the student's educational and career goals. Applications are processed based on the availability of funding. Recipients of the Florida Work Experience Program MUST be undergraduate students and residents of Florida.
- Have a current year FAFSA completed, submitted, and on file with FAU.
- If you have NOT been awarded Federal Work Study, but wish to be considered, you MUST meet the following eligibility criteria (steps 2-6 below):
- Have already received an award offer that did not include Federal Work Study.
- Have unmet need.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Requirements.
- Be enrolled at FAU.
- Create an account in Handshake to start applying for Work Study jobs.
Internships (Funded by Federal Work Study):
FAU is seeking to increase Internship Opportunities offered on campus for all students. Work-Study eligible students can receive paid opportunities to gain hands-on work experience in their field of study. Students can also participate in our Professional Internships Course offered through the Career Center and earn 0-4 course credits. Each student must have a mentor in their respective department that will monitor Intern progress in achieving learning objectives and career skill development. For more information on FAU Internships, view the On Campus Internship FWS Playbook.
Employers And Departmental Supervisors:
*NEW* Effective July 1st, 2023, when a student exceeds their approved allocation, the SmartTag provided on the Need Based Employment Form will be charged for any overage. In addition, the student’s assignment will be ended effective the last date of the pay period the overage was identified by our department. Employees must get paid for all hours worked. If the student works past the FWS assignment end date, they will not get paid unless an OPS position has been established by the hiring department. Supervisors are responsible for tracking FWS employee earnings and are encouraged to use the Allotment Tracker Form as a tool.
Additional Employer Resources
- Work Study Simplified!
Need-Based Employment Form
(Use if hiring new Work Study Students)
Allotment Time Tracking form
FWS Request for Additional Funds
(Use if student is within $800 of their allotment and may qualify for additional funds)
(Use if student will return to work for your department for the next semester)
- NOTE: Renewal forms are no longer required when students are continuing employment from Fall to Spring.
FWS Term Dates
|FWS Term||Start Date||End Date|
NOTE: The last day of work for graduating students will be the last day of classes for that semester. (See the Academic Calendar.) This also applies to students not yet registered for classes for the following semester.
CONTACT THE WORK STUDY TEAM
Office of Student Financial Aid
Student Support Services Building 777 Glades Road, Bldg. SU-80, Rm. 233
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Phone: (561) 297-3529
Hours: Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Need Based Employment assistance is also available on all partner campuses.