Undergraduate Ocean Engineering Degree Program
What is Ocean Engineering About?
Ocean engineering is a multidisciplinary field aimed at solving engineering problems associated with working in the ocean environment and wisely exploring and harnessing the ocean's resources.
Ocean engineers design, build, operate and maintain ships, offshore structures and a variety of ocean technologies including aircraft carriers, submarines, sailboats, tankers, tugboats, yachts, oil rigs, underwater robots and acoustic sonar.
Ocean engineers study the oceans to determine the effects of waves, currents and the salt water environment on ships and other marine vehicles and structures and develop methods and materials to withstand wave forces and protect against corrosion. Ocean engineers are also involved in development and use of manned and remotely operated sub-surface vehicles for deep-sea exploration and resource recovery. An ocean engineer, Dr. Robert Ballard, located the wreckage of the Titanic.
Ocean Engineering at FAU
The Ocean Engineering program at FAU is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. It was introduced in the Fall of 1965 as the nation's first such undergraduate degree program. The program of study leading to a bachelor of science degree in ocean engineering reflects the breadth of the profession. Students complete coursework in science and engineering, including acoustics, hydrodynamics, material science and control. Because of the tremendous impact engineers have on society, the curriculum also requires students to pursue studies in the social sciences and the humanities.
Ocean Engineering Undergraduate Degree Program Information
- Admission Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Sample 4-Year Program
- Advising Flowchart (pdf)
- Common Course Syllabi
- Undergraduate Capstone Senior Design
IFP Check Lists and Flight Plans for a Bachelor of Science in Ocean Engineering (BSOE)
- MAC1105 (College Algebra)
- MAC1140 (Pre-Calculus Algebra)
- MAC2311 (Calculus with Analytic Geometry 1)
- Mission, Objectives & Educational Outcomes
- Enrollment and Graduation Data
- 2017-2020 Undergraduate Student Data
- 2016-2017 Undergraduate Student Data
- 2015-2016 Undergraduate Student Data
- 2014-2015 Undergraduate Student Data / College Fact Book
- 2013-2014 Undergraduate Student Data / College Fact Book
- 2012-2013 Undergraduate Student Data / College Fact Book
- 2011-2012 Undergraduate Student Data / College Fact Book
- ABET Related Forms (pdf)
- Continuous Improvement Plan (pdf)
- Student Learning Outcomes Assessment (pdf)