Photo Research in Action Henriette van Praag

Exercise and the Brain: Reasons to Run

Henriette van Praag, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biomedical Science,
Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine

You use running and exercise interchangeably. I cannot run but I do exercise regularly. What is the value of exercise without running? Does it still encourage the growth of new neurons?   

In rodents aerobic activity, running or swimming, increases the production of new neurons in the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus.

You talk about exercise and the impacts it has in addition to dietary lifestyle such as ETOH use and high fat diets. What are your thoughts on the "mind diet" as it applies hippocampal neurogenesis?   

I am sorry, I am not familiar with the 'mind diet'.

Does the positive effect on neurons by running also account for other sports? If no, why? If yes, is there any sports that is not beneficial for neurons? Specifically scuba diving?   

Aerobic activity promotes the genesis of new neurons in rodents. In humans, walking or running interventions can promote cognitive function. There is some research pertaining to scuba and cognition.

Also, does one have to exercise for a certain amount of time and at a certain level of intensity every day to achieve these healthy brain benefits?   

This is a question researchers are working on.

Also, does one have to exercise for a certain amount of time and at a certain level of intensity every day to achieve these healthy brain benefits?    

This is a question researchers are working on.

Are you considering doing a study on adults (40+) and the benefits of running?   

Our research is in rodent models.

What is the difference between walking and running?   

Both can have beneficial effects on brain function in humans.

How does detaining effect previous neurogenesis? Is there a reduction in neuronal systems.   

High stress levels are not considered beneficial for brain function.

Speculative question here: do you think exercise can help alleviate any eventual neuron damage/loss due to Covid-19, esp. related to olfactory sense loss?   

That is a possibility.