Responsible Conduct of Research
RCR Training Requirements
|Faculty/Staff*||Students (undergraduate, graduate) *||Postdoctoral fellows*|
|NIH funded||• CITI RCR required
• 8 contact hours required of RCR live instruction(as applicable to grant requirements) see below*
|• CITI RCR
• 8 contact hours of RCR live instruction required
|• CITI RCR
• 8 contact hours of RCR instruction (for training and career development awards)
|NSF funded||• As stipulated in award terms and conditions and/or as described in scope of work||• CITI RCR required||• CITI RCR required|
|Other federal awards including flow through||• As stipulated in award terms and conditions and/or as described in scope of work||• CITI RCR required||• CITI RCR required|
|All other sponsored research||• As stipulated in award terms and conditions and/or as described in scope of work||• As stipulated in award terms and conditions and/or as described in scope of work||• As stipulated in award terms and conditions and/or as described in scope of work|
*Training indicated in the table are superseded by grant and or college/department requirements
*Additional requirements as stipulated in the funding opportunity announcement and/or in the proposal. As stipulated in award terms and conditions and/or as described in scope of work
Click to view additional details about RCR Training Requirements
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) RCR Training
All CITI course offerings are on a three-year renewal cycle. This means that a refresher course will be due three years after you first complete a course. CITI will send you emails to remind you when a refresher course is due. It is important to adjust your email privacy setting so that you can receive these important emails.
CITI RCR Training:
- Is free to all FAU and non-FAU affiliates who are collaborating on research projects from other institutions
- It is not necessary to have an FAU email to create a CITI account for this course.
- Training can be completed online at any time.
See the How-to Guide for step by step instructions on how to create an account and register for the RCR course.
NSF and NIH Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Training Requirements and Procedures
FAU Implementation Process
Prior to submitting a student or postdoctoral Costing Allocation or Period Activity Pay that includes a federal or federal flow through SmartTag (F0005), the student or postdoctoral fellow's department must take the following steps:
- Advise the student or postdoctoral fellow that they must complete the RCR learning course through the CITI on-line training
- Obtain and keep on file a copy of the student or postdoctoral fellow's RCR learning course completion certificate that they earn through the CITI on-line training
- Indicate on the "To Do" of the Costing Allocation or within the "comment" section of the Period Activity Pay the date of the last CITI RCR training completion
** See this template/sample for a correct CITI RCR report**
- The Dean's Office or Cost Center Manger must verify that the department has completed item 3 before approving or forwarding. Processes submitted without the confirmation of RCR completion report date will be returned to the college.
- Add "Sponsored Programs Manager" for Period Activity Pay for approval by Research Accounting. Costing Allocations will route automatically to the appropriate Research Accountant.