Research In Action 2021

Photo Research in Action Erika Hoff, Ph.D.

Learn How Toddlers Become Bilingual

Erika Hoff, Ph.D.
Professor in the Department of Psychology
Charles E. Schmidt College of Science

In a day care setting, some modules use English for one day and Spanish for the next day? What is necessary for Spanish-speaking toddlers to grow in Spanish as much as English, or at the same pace?   

They would need the same quantity and quality of input which means the same number of people to talk to in each language, the same number of native or highly proficient people as sources of exposure, each language should be used for the same range of purposes. I bet it would also be important to have monolingual speakers of each language as conversational partners to preclude language switching. I don't think the conditions ever happen.

What did you use, what assessment, to differentiate and assess the effects language use has on expressive versus receptive language?   

We used the Expressive One Word Picture Vocabulary Test - Bilingual Edition for expressive language. The data I showed on receptive language used the Preschool Language Survey-Auditory Scale, we have the same result using the Receptive One Word Picture Vocabulary Test.

For mixed language parents, is there a method of exposure that you would suggest over another? For example, one parent, one language (their corresponding dominant language) or use mainly the language that is not the host language (ex. Spanish while living in U.S.) at home by both parents?   

One parent, one language is not necessary (and does not occur as frequently as parents claim to use it). In the host-heritage language situation, you need more heritage language input at home to counter the effect of the societal language outside, but I wouldn't send a child to school without any ability in the language of the school.

Can this study apply to more than two languages?   

I wouldn't try to use three languages equally and simultaneously. I would start with two and add a third, but there is very little research on this.

How would the results change if the roles were reversed, and the tests were done on monolingual Spanish families versus bilingual Spanish and English families in a region where Spanish is the dominant language?   

Very interesting question. I think not quite the same because English is so supported by video games, TV, movies everywhere. English has an advantage that no other language has.

Was there any gender effect for children?   

On some tests girls are more advanced than boys. Some tests are designed to correct for that. In general, there is a small gender difference in language development favoring girls.