Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Resources
Fellows will participate in 8 different clinical rotations and outpatient continuity care based at the West Palm Veterans Administration Medical Center (WPVAMC) as illustrated in the rotation descriptions and the fellowship rotation block diagram.
Fellows will have access to:
- The FAU Medical Library and associated librarian services with extensive resources available for literature review as well as clinical practice.
- Three core textbooks via Access Medicine:
- Halter, J, Ouslander, J, Tinetti, M, et al: Hazzard’s Geriatric Medicine & Gerontology, 7th Edition, McGraw Hill, New York, (2016).
- Kane RL, Ouslander JG, Resnick, B, Malone, M: Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics, 8th Edition, McGraw Hill, New York, (2017).
- Morley, J, Tolson, D, Ouslander, J, Vellas, B: Nursing Home Care: A Core Curriculum for the International Association for Gerontology and Geriatrics. McGraw Hill, New York, (2013).
- The most up-to-date versions of American Geriatrics Society resources for each fellow, including the Geriatrics Review Syllabus and Geriatrics at Your Fingertips .Clinical practice guidelines, Choosing Wisely recommendations and additional educational resources available through the American Geriatrics Society and AMDA - The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine.
- The FAU Geriatrics bibliography– an up-to-date compilation of over 200 key papers in PDF format from the last 10 years organized in over 20 categories.
- The FAU College of Medicine Simulation Center where they will participate with students, residents, and interprofessional students in structured simulation exercises relevant to Geriatric Medicine.
Fellows will participate in the following didactic learning experiences:
- Internal Medicine Grand Rounds
- Professors Rounds with Senior Clinicians
- Journal Clubs
- Geriatrics Didactic Lectures (see below)
- M&M Conferences
- Board Review Sessions
Fellows will have opportunities for research and scholarship with FAU academic faculty geriatricians, including:
- Joseph G. Ouslander, M.D. – Dr. Ouslander has served as a faculty member at UCLA, Johns Hopkins, Emory University, and now FAU since 1982. He is a past president and board chair of the American Geriatrics Society and has served as the Deputy/Executive Editor for the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society since 1991. He has published over 200 original papers, is a co-author of Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics and Nursing Home Care , and an editor of Hazzard’s Geriatrics and Gerontology , all available to the fellows on Access Medicine through the FAU library. He is an experienced administrator and has completed a Health & Aging Policy Fellowship. He will mentor fellows in scholarship, research, and QI projects, conduct regular professor rounds, and participate in Journal Clubs.
- Mandi Sehgal, M.D. – Dr. Sehgal is an Associate Professor at FAU, and currently serves as the head of the Teachers’ Section of the American Geriatrics Society, and an Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society for Education and Training.She will be involved in training fellows to teach Geriatrics, and serve as a mentor for educational research projects.