FAQ - Transfer

What are the steps to apply as a transfer student?
If you are applying to Florida Atlantic University with more than 12 post-secondary credits earned after high school graduation, you are considered a transfer student.

Students with an Associate’s degree or at least 60 credits should complete the following steps:
  • Complete and submit the online application.
  • Pay the non-refundable $30 application fee.
  • Submit official transcripts from ALL colleges or universities attended.
Students who have earned fewer than 60 credits should also submit the following items:
  • Official high school transcripts
  • SAT/ACT/CLT scores (sent directly from testing agencies)

Note – Limited access programs may require supplemental items. Contact the relevant FAU college or department for other admission requirements.

What are the application deadlines for transfer students?
Deadlines vary based on term of entry.  View application deadlines .
How do I submit my college transcript(s)?
All institutions are different, so we encourage you to contact your college or university’s registrar or student services office to determine how they send official transcripts. Most institutions will have the official transcript request process available to students online.

There are two ways to submit your official transcripts:

Electronically (preferred)
Faster (all Florida public institutions)
Naviance (Typically used by private high schools)
SMART/Joint Service Transcript (military records)
National Student Clearinghouse

Hardcopy – U.S. Postal Service
Transcripts sent directly from your high school and/or college in a sealed envelope (if the seal is broken, we cannot accept the transcript as official). If a hard copy is submitted, additional time for evaluation will be required. Official transcripts can be mailed to the following address:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions 
Florida Atlantic University 
777 Glades Road – SU80 
P.O. Box 3091
Boca Raton, FL. 33431-0991

Please note, if the transcript delivery service asks you to provide an email address to send transcripts to, please use admissions@fau.edu.
Do I have to provide all my transcripts even though my last school has a combination of all my institutional credits?
Yes. Your application will not be processed unless we receive the official transcripts from every college/university you have attended. Please keep in mind that they need to be received by the application deadline.
Can I apply now even though I’m still in my last semester at my current institution and have not received my A.A. or earned 60 credits yet?

Yes. You will need to fill out the application, pay the application fee, and submit the most current official transcripts by the application deadline for the term you intend to start at Florida Atlantic.

If you wait to apply until you finish your last semester at your current institution, you will miss the application deadline. Once you complete your classes, please submit your final transcripts to Admissions.

I am an FAU alum and want to get my second Bachelor’s degree. Can I just register for classes or do I have to go through the entire application process?

An application is required for each new degree program. You must complete the online application and choose the option “Second Bachelors.”

If you have taken college-level courses at any other institution since graduating from FAU, you will need to submit the official transcript(s) from those institutions.

How do I check my application status?
What do I do after I’ve been accepted?

Congratulations! To make your acceptance official, you must submit your non-refundable admissions deposit on your  Owldone portal. Your deposit must be paid by May 1, or within two weeks of admission if you are admitted after May 1. 

If this is your first time logging into Owldone, click “Claim FAUNet ID” and follow the instructions to activate your FAUNet ID. You can then log in to Owldone and click “Pay Admissions Deposit.” 

Learn more about admissions deposits.

Can I meet with someone who will tell me which of my credits will transfer before I apply?

Unfortunately, only students who apply to FAU will have their transcripts evaluated. However, you can check how your credits transfer using our online Transfer Equivalency Tool.

If you wish to inquire if the transcripts from your previous institution will be accepted by FAU based on your previous school’s accreditation, please feel free to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Can I transfer as a Junior with my Associate of Science degree?
Students transferring with an Associate of Science degree will need to take additional classes to meet the University general education requirements (Intellectual Foundation of Education) at their current institution, or obtain an Associate of Arts degree.

If your AS is articulated with one of FAU’s programs (and you meet all the admission requirements), you will be admitted to the university, where you can complete the remainder of your Intellectual Foundation of Education courses.
I won’t be able to attend the term for which I was accepted. Can I attend the next term?

Admissions to FAU is term specific. If you wish to defer your application or admissions decision, you must complete a change of entry form. Your application is valid for three consecutive semesters, which means you are allowed to change your entry date twice. You can complete a change of entry form online.

Please keep in mind that these changes must be made before the transfer deadlines.

Who do I speak to if I don’t know what to major in yet?

If you have not been admitted to FAU, you can visit the career services at your current institution or you may contact one of our Transfer Admissions Counselors.

If you have been admitted to FAU, please contact our Career  Center at:

  • Broward Campuses: (954) 236-1214
  • Boca Raton Campus: (561) 297-3533
Can I speak with an academic advisor before I apply?
Unfortunately, due to the large number of student to advisor ratio, not all academic advisors meet with prospective students. Please feel free to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to see if your advisor can see prospective students.
Do I qualify for Transfer Scholarships?

In order to be considered for Transfer Scholarships, students must submit a supplemental scholarship application by the scholarship application deadline.

Please note that meeting scholarship requirements do not guarantee you will be awarded any scholarships, as they are limited and competitive.

I missed the deadline for the Transfer Scholarships. Are there any other scholarships I can apply for?
If you have missed the deadline for the transfer scholarships, you can visit the Financial Aid department and your academic advisor to inquire about other scholarship opportunities.
What programs are offered at each of the campuses?
Most degree programs are offered at the Boca Raton campus, but students may contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to inquire about their campus’ course offerings. Only upper-division courses are available for transfer students at FAU’s partner campuses.
What is the difference between degree-seeking and non-degree seeking?

Non-degree courses can be taken for enrichment, certification, or to meet pre-acceptance requirements for entry into a graduate degree program. The Registrar's Office processes all non-degree applications.

A degree-seeking student is a student who is applying with the intention of graduating from Florida Atlantic with an undergraduate or graduate degree.

Can I take my pre-requisites or general education classes at the Davie or Fort Lauderdale Campuses?

All general education classes and pre-requisites (1000 and 2000 level classes) are only offered at the Boca Raton campus, but some may be available online.

The Broward campuses (Davie and Fort Lauderdale) only offer upper-division classes (3000/4000 level).

What online programs do you offer?
Can I enroll at two institutions at the same time? (e.g. start my BA classes at Florida Atlantic while completing my AA at Broward College)
A student cannot be enrolled concurrently at two institutions at the same time as a degree-seeking student, but a student can be admitted to Florida Atlantic for a future term while the student completes their degree at their current institution, or be enrolled at FAU (home school) and be a transient student in another.