Gavin E. Rose, M.D.
Director, Psychiatry Residency Program | Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431
BC 71, Room 213
Dr. Rose joined the faculty of the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine in April 2019 as an Assistant Professor of Integrated Medical Science in the Psychiatry Residency Training Program. Prior to joining FAU, Dr. Rose worked as a staff psychiatrist at the South Florida State Hospital and maintained a private practice specializing in Forensic Psychiatry. He has held clinical appointments at the Howard University College of Medicine, Georgetown University School of Medicine and Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine. He holds a B.A. from Johns Hopkins University and an M.D. from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Dr. Rose completed his residency in General Psychiatry with the University of Maryland Medical Systems and a fellowship in Forensic Psychiatry at the Georgetown University Medical Center.
Dr. Rose is a Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, a member of the American Psychiatric Association, the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law and the Florida Psychiatric Society.
- 1983: Bachelor of Arts - The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- 1988: Doctor of Medicine - University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
- 1988-1992: Residency, General Psychiatry - University of Maryland Medical Systems, Baltimore, Maryland
2007-2008: Fellowship, Forensic Psychiatry - Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
- Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN):
- General Psychiatry, #38411: November, 1993, valid indefinitely.
- Additional Certification in Forensic Psychiatry, #1787: May, 2009
- Certified Suboxone Prescriber: 2006 to the present
- Florida Area Health Education Center: Florida Forensic Examiner Certification - October, 2009
- Florida Board of Medicine: Florida Expert Witness Panel - September, 2012
- Florida State Guardianship Association, Inc: Guardianship Examining Committee Certification - August, 2014
- Director, Psychiatry Residency Program, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine - 2022 to present.
- Assistant Professor, Integrated Medical Science, Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine – 2019-2022.
- Staff Psychiatrist, South Florida State Hospital/Correct Care Recovery Solutions – January, 2016 to January, 2019.
- Forensic Psychiatrist, private practice, Fort Lauderdale, Florida – January, 2014 to the present.
- Staff Psychiatrist, Henderson Behavioral Health, Fort Lauderdale, Florida - December, 2011 to December, 2015.
- Forensic Psychiatrist, Miami Dade Forensic Alternative Center (MDFAC) and Forensic Acute Stabilization Unit, Miami Gardens, Florida - September, 2009 to December, 2011
- Associate Chief Clinical Officer, Department of Mental Health, Washington, D.C. - July, 2008 to July, 2009.
- Forensic Psychiatrist, St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, Washington, D.C. - September, 2006 to June, 2007
- Staff Psychiatrist and Medical Director – Outpatient Clinic, Washington Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Washington, D.C. - May, 1998 to May, 2006.
- Consulting Psychiatrist, Whitman Walker Clinic, Washington, D.C. - May, 1997 to May, 1998.
- Staff Psychiatrist and Medical Director, Prince George’s Health Department, Cheverly, Maryland - December, 1993 to May, 1997.
- Staff Psychiatrist, Southeast Community Mental Health Center, Columbus, Ohio - July, 1992 to October, 1993.
- April, 2019 – present: Delray Medical Center, Delray Beach, Florida.
- January, 2016 – January, 2019: South Florida State Hospital, Pembroke Pines, Florida.
- August, 2011- December, 2011: Jackson Health System, Inc., Miami, Florida.
- September, 2006 - June, 2007: St. Elizabeths Hospital, Washington, D.C.
- May, 1998 - May, 2006: Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Washington, D.C.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Case Report – Using Risperdal Consta In A Rapid Cycling Bipolar Patient; The Difficulties Providing Consistent Treatment, Arch Gen Psychiatry, 2007; April (4):442-55, Alan Abrams MD JD; Tyler Jones, MD; Maheen Patel, MD; Alan Newman, MD; Gavin Rose, MD; Kylee Stevens, MD.
- Case Study – The Non-adherent Schizophrenic Patient, Psych Resident News, 2007; 2:2-3, Alan Abrams MD JD; Tyler Jones, MD; Maheen Patel, MD; Alan Newman, MD; Gavin Rose, MD; Kylee Stevens, MD.
- American Academy of Psychiatry and Law (AAPL)
- American Psychiatric Association (APA)