Michele Retrouvey, M.D.
Dr. Michele Retrouvey is the Interim Chair of the Women's and Children's Health Department. She is an Assistant Professor of Pediatric Radiology and Director of Radiology Education at the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, Florida. She is a board-certified radiologist with a certificate of additional qualifications in pediatric radiology.
Dr. Retrouvey graduated with great distinction from McGill University with a degree in Anatomy. She then earned her medical doctorate from Eastern Virginia Medical School. She then went on to complete her diagnostic radiology residency at Eastern Virginia, where she was chief resident, followed by a pediatric radiology fellowship at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. She is licensed to practice medicine in Florida and is a Diplomat of the American Board of Radiology.
- 2017-2018: Pediatric Radiology Fellow, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- 2013-2017: Radiology Resident, Eastern Virginia Medical School
- 2012-2013: Internal Medicine Preliminary Resident, Eastern Virginia Medical School
- 2008-2012: M.D., Eastern Virginia Medical School
- 2005-2008: BSc, Anatomy & Cell Biology, McGill University, Montreal Canada
- Pediatric Radiologist, Department of Radiology, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Interim Department Chair, Department of Women’s & Children's Health, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University
- Assistant Professor, Course Director & Director of Radiology Education, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University
- Assistant Program Director, Department of Radiology , Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Assistant Professor & Core Faculty, Department of Radiology, Eastern Virginia Medical School
- 2018-2022: Pediatric Radiologist, Medical Center Radiologists, Virginia Beach, VA
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Velez-Florez MC, Dougherty S, Ginader A, Hailu T, Bodo N, Poznick L, Retrouvey M, Reid JR, Gokli A. Hands-On Ultrasound Training for Radiology Residents: The Impact of an Ultrasound Scanning Curriculum. Acad Radiol. 2023 Mar 11;S1076-6332(23)00044-2.
- Hodges H. Epstein KE. Retrouvey M. Wang SS. Richards AA. Lima, D. Revels JW. Pitfalls in the interpretation of pediatric head CTs: What the emergency radiologist needs to know. Emerg Radiol. 2022 Aug;29(4):729-742.
- Light J, Retrouvey M, Conran R. Educational Case: Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis, Acad Pathol. 2022 May 12;9(1):100018.
- Light J, Retrouvey M, Conran R. Educational Case: Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Acad Pathol. 2022 May 12;9(1):100025.
- Retrouvey M. Vossough A. Zandifar A. Bellah R. Heuer G. Flibotte J. Tierradentro-Garcia L. Saade-Lemus, S. Du Ub Kim J. Back, S. Kaplan, S. Validation of Sonographic Fronto-Occipital Ratio Based on Anatomical Landmarks compared to MR/CT-Derived Indexes in Children with Chiari II and Ventriculomegaly. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2022;57(2):71-77.
- Light J, Retrouvey M, Conran R. Educational Case: Osteoid Osteoma. Acad Pathol. 2021 Dec 13;8:23742895211060536.
- Eccleston, C. Retrouvey M. Conran, R. Educational Case: Ewing Sarcoma. Acad Pathol. 2021 Aug 31;8:23742895211040204.
- Revels J, Retrouvey M, Weaver J. Clinical Manifestations and Medical Imaging of Osteogenesis Imperfecta: Fetal Through Adulthood. Acta Med Acad. 2021 Aug;50(2):277-291.
- Retrouvey M, Grajo JR, Awan O, Catanzano T, Cheong LHA, Mankoff D, Burdette JH, Mendiratta-Lala M, Spalluto LB, Bronen RA, DeBenedectis CM. Transitioning From Radiology Training to Academic Faculty: The Importance of Mentorship. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2019 Feb 28.
- Grajo JR, Retrouvey M, Awan O, Catanzano T, Cheong LHA, Mankoff D, Burdette JH, Mendiratta-Lala M, Spalluto LB, Bronen RA, DeBenedectis CM. Transitioning from Radiology Training to Academic Faculty: Defining Your Role. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2019 Mar 7 and Interests.
- Ganeshan D. Duong P. Probyn L. Lenchik L. McArthur T. Retrouvey M. Ghobadi E. Desouches S. Pastel D. Francis I. Structured Reporting in Radiology. Acad Radiol. 2018 Jan;25(1):66-73.
- Retrouvey M. Trace AP. Goodmurphy C. Shaves S. Redefining the Radiology Curriculum in Medical School: Vertical Integration and Global Accessibility. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2018 Jan;210(1):118-122.
- Retrouvey M. Keefe B. Kotsenas A. McGinty G. Patel A. Women in Radiology: Creating a global mentorship network through social media. J Am Coll Radiol. 2017 Nov 9.
- Retrouvey M. Trace AP. Johnson LS. Shaves S. Streamlining the Radiology Consultation Service in the Digital Era. J Am Coll Radiol. 2017 Nov;14(11):1464-1467.
- Ortiz D. Trace AP. Retrouvey M. A Resident and Fellow-Driven Review Course to Prepare Trainees for the ABR Core Examination. J Am Coll Radiol. 2017 Nov;14(11):1473-1475.
- Erickson J, Retrouvey M, Rush J, Trace AP. Simultaneous Duodenal Stenosis and Duodenal Web in a Newborn. Radiol Case Rep. 2016 Oct 1;11(4):444-446.
- Trace AP. Ortiz D. Deal A. Retrouvey M. Elzie C. Goodmurphy C. Morey J. Hawkins CM. Radiology’s Emerging Role in 3D Printing Applications in Healthcare. J Am Coll Radiol. 2016 Jul;13(7):856-862.
- Retrouvey M. Trace AP, Shaves S. Radiological Knowledge and Ordering Habits of Clinical Residents: ACR Appropriateness Criteria Awareness & Perceptions. J Am Coll Radiol. 2016 Jun;13(6):725-9.
- Decker S. Grajo J. Hazelton T. Hoang K. McDonald J. Otero H. Patel M. Prober A. Retrouvey M. Rosenkrantz A. Roth C. Ward R. Research Challenges and Opportunities for Clinically Oriented Academic Radiology Departments. Acad Radiol. 2016 Jan;23(1):43-52.
- Retrouvey M. Zeal P. Shaves S. US Preventive Services Task Force CT Lung Cancer Screening Recommendations: Community Awareness and Perceptions. J Am Coll Radiol. 2015 Jan;12(1):114-5; J Am Coll Radiol. 2016 Feb;13(2 Suppl):R35-7
- Patel Z. Retrouvey M. Vingan H. Williams S. Tumor track seeding: A new complication of fiducial marker insertion. Radiology Case Reports. 2014;2;928
- Schaaf W. Patel Z. Retrouvey M. Cunningham, T. Johnson L. Frequency and Clinical Relevance of PET/CT Incidentalomas. Abdom Imaging. 2014 Jun;39(3):657-62.
- Tomich J. Retrouvey M. Shaves S. Emergency Imaging Discrepancy Rates at a Level 1 Trauma Center: A Multimodality Approach to Identifying the Most Common On-Call “Misses” Among Residents at Each Level of Training. Emerg Radiol. 2013 Dec;20(6):499-505.
- Retrouvey M. Strand J. Quidley A. Goodmurphy C. Chiodo T. Use of Ultrasound in Needle Placement in Intercostal Muscles: A Method for Increased Accuracy in Cadavers. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013 Jul;94(7):1256-9.
- Retrouvey M. Koch L. Williams J. Gianotti-Crosti syndrome after childhood vaccination. Pediatr Dermatol. 2012 Sep-Oct;29(5):666-8, Pediatr Dermatol. 2012 Sep-Oct;29(5):666-8.
- 2021 – 2022: Association of Program Directors in Radiology (APDR)
- 2013 – present: Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
- 2013 – present: American College of Radiology (ACR)
- 2013 – present: American Association for Women Radiologists (AAWR)
- 2013 – present: Society of Pediatric Radiology (SPR)
- 2013 – 2022: Virginia Chapter of the American Association of Radiology
- 2013 – 2018: American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS)
- 2016 – 2017: American Alliance of Academic Chief Residents in Radiology (A3CR2)
- 10/2022 - present: AUR Leadership built on Emotional Intelligence Course participant
- 12/2022 - present: BMJ Research to Publication Program participant
- 07/2022 - present: AAMC Building Better Curriculum Webinar Series participant
- 07/2022 - present: Radiology-TEACHES mentor
- 03/2022 - present: ABR DR Pediatrics Subspecialty Committee member
- 08/2022-10/2022: AAMC Medical Education Research Certificate (MERC)
- 08/2022 - present: FAU Admission Committee
- 07/2019 - 6/01/2022: EVMS Third Year Radiology Faculty Clerkship Director
- 10/2018 - 6/01/2022: VA Chapter of the American College of Radiology Alternate Councillor
- 05/2018 - present: SPR Education Committee Member
- 10/2018– 6/01/2022: EVMS Longitudinal Ultrasound Honors Course Faculty
- 06/2015 – present: SPR Ultrasound Committee Member
- 06/2015 – present: ACR Committee on Economics (Pediatric) Member
- 11/2010 – present: McGill University Career Planning Service Mentor
- 05/2017 – 05/2018: ACR RFS Executive Committee Education Liaison
- 05/2017 – 05/2018: ACR RFS Women and Diversity Advisory Panel Chair
- 08/2015 - 05/2017: ACR RFS Medical Student Focus Group Member
- 10/2016 - 04/2017: Virginia ACR RFS Rapid Fire Review Course Creator & Organizer
- 10/2016 - 08/2017: Virginia ACR RFS Governing Council Education Liaison
- 12/2014 - 06/2017: EVMS/SNGH Patient Safety/Quality Improvement Council Member
- 07/2013 - 06/2017: EVMS Radiology Facebook Group Administrator
- 10/2013 - 06/2017: EVMS Ultrasound Teaching Modules Instructor
- 07/2013 - 09/2016: EVMS Residents and Fellows Association Radiology Representative
- 11/2012 - 06/2017: EVMS Graduate Medical Education Council Member
- 07/2014 - 07/2016: Sentara Norfolk General Hospital Ethics Committee Member