Lisa A. Brennan, Ph.D.
Research Associate Professor
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431
BC 71, Room 202
p: 7-3806 / 7-3754
Lisa Ann Brennan, PhD., is a research associate professor.
- 1992: B.Sc. (Hons) Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland
- 1996: Ph.D., Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland
- 2007-Present: Associate Research Professor, Department Biomedical Science, Florida Atlantic University
- 2001-2007: Research Scientist, Randox Laboratories, Crumlin, Northern Ireland
- 2000-2001: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Feinburg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago Illinois
- 1996-2000: Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland
- Chauss D, Basu S, Rajakaruna S, Ma Z, Gau V, Anastas S, Brennan LA, Hejtmancik JF, Menko AS, Kantorow M. Differentiation state-specific mitochondrial dynamic regulatory networks are revealed by global transcriptional analysis of the developing chicken lens. G3 (Bethesda). 2014 Jun 13;4(8):1515-27.
- Brennan LA, McGreal RS, Lee Kantorow W, Wilcox, JD, Wei J, Chauss DC, Kantorow M. Chaperone-independent mitochondrial translocation and protection by αB-crystallin in RPE cells. Exp Eye Res. 2013 Mar 4.
- Brennan LA, Kantorow WL, Chauss D, McGreal RS, He S, Matucci L, Wei J, Riazuddin SA, Cvekl A, Hejtmancik JF, Kantorow, M. Spatial expression patterns of autophagy genes in the eye lens and induction of autophagy in lens cells. Molecular Vision2012; 18:1773-1786.
- McGreal RS, Lee Kantorow W, Chauss DC, Wei J, Brennan LA , Kantorow M. αB-crystallin/sHSP protects cytochrome c and mitochondrial function against oxidative stress in lens and retinal cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012 Jul; 1820(7):921-30. Epub 2012 Apr 12.
- Brennan LA, McGreal RS, Kantorow M. Oxidative stress defense and repair systems of the ocular lens. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2012 Jan 1; 4:141-55.
- Yang C, Yang Y, Brennan L, Bouhassira EE, Kantorow M, Cvekl A. Efficient generation of lens progenitor cells and lentoid bodies from human embryonic stem cells in chemically defined conditions. FASEB J. 2010 Sep; 24(9):3274-83. Epub 2010 Apr 21.
- Brennan LA, Lee W, Kantorow M. TXNL6 is a novel oxidative stress-induced reducing system for methionine sulfoxide reductase a repair of α-crystallin and cytochrome C in the eye lens. PLoS One. 2010 Nov 4; 5(11):e15421.
- Brennan LA, Lee W, Giblin FJ, David LL, Kantorow M. Methionine sulfoxide reductase A (MsrA) restores alpha-crystallin chaperone activity lost upon methionine oxidation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009 Dec; 1790(12):1665-72. Epub 2009 Sep 3.
- Brennan LA, Lee W, Giblin F and Kantorow M. Deletion of mouse MsrA results in HBO-induced cataract: MsrA repairs mitochondrial cytochrome c. Mol. Vis. 2009 15:985-999.
- Brennan LA, Kantorow M. Mitochondrial function and redox control in the aging eye: The role of MsrA and other repair systems in cataract and macular degenerations. Exp Eye Res. 2009 Feb; 88(2):195-203.
Our research focuses on the role of oxidative stress and mitochondrial damage in age-related eye diseases. In the Kantorow lab we also use the lens as a model system to elucidate molecular mechanisms of development, differentiation and aging. We examine the role of oxidative stress in cell death, protein aggregation, protein modifications as well as alterations in cellular autophagy and study how these changes contribute to developmental and age related ocular diseases. The goal of our research is to understand the underlying mechanism of lens protein repair, differentiation and development with the hope that we can use these processes to repair or regenerate damaged lens tissue damage using the body’s own innate processes.
- Biennial Meeting of the International Society for Eye Research Platform Presentation: Title - Parkin-Directed Mitophagy Governs Lens Epithelial Cell Mitochondrial Degradation Under Oxidative Stress Conditions. Lisa Brennan, Dan Chauss Marc Kantorow. July 2014. San Francisco, USA.
- Biennial Meeting of the International Society for Eye Research Platform Presentation: Title - Repair of alpha-crystallin chaperone activity by MsrA and protection of lens mitochondria. L. Brennan, R.S. McGreal, W. Lee Kantorow, D. Chauss, M. Kantorow. July 2012. Berlin, Germany.
- Invited presentation at the laboratory of Dr. Mark Failla, University of North Carolina, Greensboro in December 1998. Entitled “The Effect of Antioxidant Supplementation on transcription factor activation and heat shock protein expression in lymphocytes. Lisa A. Brennan, Yvonne A. Barnett and Bernie M. Hannigan.
- Experimental Eye Research
- International Journal of Radation Biology
- Cell Biology and Toxicology
- International Journal of Biological Sciences
- Molecular Vision
- PloS One
- The Marsden Fund, New Zealand, 2014
- 2007-Present: Association of Research in Vision and Opthalmology (ARVO)
- 2008-Present: International Society of Eye Research (ISER)