FAU High Counseling Services

In collaboration with FAU High School, CAPS is pleased to offer individual therapy services to FAU High School students. College life can often be challenging and stressful, especially as an FAU high school student. Balancing high school and college has led many students to feel anxious, depressed, confused, or overwhelmed at some point. While some students who seek counseling have chronic emotional difficulties, many are dealing with normal life events and are simply in need of additional support from a trained professional. If you feel like you may benefit from additional support or are having difficulty coping, counseling may be right for you. For more information, please click on the link below.

Am I eligible for counseling services?

All currently enrolled FAU High School students are eligible for initial counseling services at the FAU Counseling Center. Students are eligible for ongoing clinical services if their issues/concerns fall within the scope of practice of the center. Proof of current enrollment is required and all students must present a photo ID before receiving services. If you do not meet these requirements, your counselor will provide you with a list of alternative counseling resources within the community.

Ms. Christine Porges is the therapist that provides theraputic services to FAU High School Students. She is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in the state of Florida and holds a Master's degree in Couple and Family Therapy and Bachelor's degree in Secondary Education from Nova Southeastern University. Christine enjoys working with adolesents and the transitions in developement that occurs during this time. She also enjoys supporting high achieving students in supporting their personal and academic success. 

If you are an eligible FAU High School student and less than 18 years of age, you must obtain consent for treatment from your parent or legal guardian. Please email Christine Porges  porgesc@health.fau.edu  for more information on parental consent for treatment.

How do I schedule an appointment?
  1. You can call, visit, or email the counseling center to schedule an intake appointment. Upon scheduling, please let support staff know that you are a current FAU High School student. The wait for appointments may be a few days to a couple of weeks and availability of appointment times may vary. If you are experiencing a psychological emergency and there is immediate risk of harm to self or others, the quickest way to get help is to call 911.
    1. Phone: 561-297-CAPS (2277)
    2. In person: SS-8, Room 229 (second floor of breezeway south end, above the food court)
    3. Email: Christine Porgesporgesc@health.fau.edu
  2. You can contact your FAU high school counselor to complete a referral form. Please allow two to three business days for a response.
What about confidentiality?
Confidentiality is an important and necessary part of good counseling. Records and information at CAPS are confidential and separate from all other school records. All aspects of your participation in counseling at CAPS are private and confidential in accordance with state and federal laws. Information cannot be disclosed to others without your written consent, except in cases of imminent danger to yourself or others, child/dependent care abuse, court order, there is a threat to campus safety, or where otherwise required by law.

Your counselor will not disclose any information about you to others without your written permission except as required by law. However, sometimes you may decide to sign a release of information for the purpose of coordinating your care with specific individuals.
Confidentiality as a minor
As a general rule, your counselor will keep the information you share in sessions confidential, except for situations such as those mentioned above, your counselor will not tell your parent or guardian specific things you share in your private therapy sessions, however, your parent/guardian is the ultimate holder of privilege of all information pertaining to your engagement with CAPS. If your counselor believes that information you disclosed could put you in clear and imminent danger, then breaching confidentiality is warranted. However, when applicable, your counselor will communicate any concerns with you prior to releasing information to parents or guardians. If you have any additional questions about confidentiality please email Christine Porges  porgesc@health.fau.edu .
What is the difference between a school counselor and a mental health counselor?

School Counselor
School counselors are essential to the early identification of mental health concerns and facilitate appropriate referrals for community mental health services as necessary. School counselors are uniquely trained in child and adolescent development, counseling, and social-emotional learning in order to provide comprehensive services to students. They implement a comprehensive school counseling program, which includes large group, small group and individual counseling, to support students through their high school experience and to promote long-term success. The school counseling program provides education, prevention, and intervention activities for students, as well as outreach and education for parents. School counselors at FAUHS provide counseling in the areas of academic, social-emotional, and college-career development. School counselors are able to provide brief, solution-focused counseling services in the academic environment.

Mental Health Counselor
Clinical mental health counselors provide ongoing, therapeutic services, and are able to diagnose and treat mental and emotional disorders. In addition, they provide psychoeducational therapy aimed at the prevention of mental and emotional disorders. Mental health counselors use a developmental perspective to apply cognitive, affective, social, behavioral, and systemic strategies to help students facilitate change. They provide a safe and confidential environment for students to share their experiences and address various challenges such as anxiety, depression, trauma, relationship issues, life events, stress, self-esteem and identity issues. Mental health counselors are trained and qualified to provide counseling that goes beyond the scope of a school counselor’s practice.

What should I expect during my first visit?

The initial appointment will provide you with an opportunity to discuss your issue/concerns with a counselor in a confidential setting. Typically, these appointments can last between 30-50 minutes. Please arrive to the center  minutes before your appointment to complete initial paperwork. Your counselor will assess your situation and determine what services and/or referrals are a best match for you.

If you are a FAU High School student and less than 18 years of age, you must seek consent for treatment from your parent or legal guardian prior to receiving services. Parents/legal guardians should accompany the student to their initial appointment to complete required paperwork. Parents/legal guardians are not required to accompany the student after their initial visit. Parents are encouraged to communicate any questions or concerns about services with their student’s counselor. If there are any additional concerns or questions in regards to the process of parental consent for treatment, please contact Christine Porges via email at  porgesc@health.fau.edu.

How do I cancel or reschedule an appointment?
Call at least 24 hours before the appointment to cancel and/or reschedule the appointment so that others can use that appointment time. If you late cancel or no show more than 2 appointments you will no longer be eligible for services and a community referral can be made.
How does counseling work?
Counseling is a collaborative process through which the student and their therapist work to explore and develop their personal goals towards desired change. A therapist provides a supportive and nonjudgmental environment that will allow students to talk openly to overcome obstacles and personal challenges they are facing.
Can I access medication management services at the FAU Counseling Center?
FAU High School students do not have access to psychiatric services at FAU. If you are interested in medication, we are happy to help you find a community referral who can provide that.
Can I access psychological testing such as assessments for learning disabilities and/or ADHD evaluations?
FAU does not provide psychological testing/evaluation services. If you are interested in testing/evaluation services, your counselor can provide you with a list of referrals.
What do I do in an emergency?
If you or a friend are experiencing a psychological emergency and there is immediate risk of harm to self or others, the quickest way to get help is to call 911.

During Business Hours

CAPS provides crisis intervention services during our normal business hours. To be seen for an emergency appointment, call our office or simply walk into the center. Be sure to inform the receptionist that you are experiencing a crisis and we will make every effort to respond to your situation as quickly as possible.  Evenings and Weekends

CAPS Crisis Line - 561-297-CAPS (2277)

If you (or a friend) are experiencing distress and need someone to talk with in the middle of the night or on the weekend, please call the CAPS's main number, follow the prompts and you will immediately be connected to a licensed therapist. This service cannot change or schedule appointments. The after-hours crisis counselor is available when the CAPS is closed.

Additional Resources  Please be aware that we are not affiliated with these agencies, and therefore, cannot vouch for the quality of the off-campus services. The information provided below should not be regarded as an endorsement.

2-1-1 United Way of Broward and Palm Beach Counties - A local 24hr hotline that assists in suicide prevention as well as information and referrals to health, social, and human services.

Dial 2-1-1

ULifeline - A nationwide 24hr service that forwards your call to the nearest crisis hotline

1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Crisis Text Line - A nationwide 24hr service that provides support via text. Text START to 741-741. Visit crisistextline.org for more information.

FAU Victim Services - A 24hr resource and support service for anyone in the University community who has been a victim of actual or threatened violence.


Florida Poison Information Center -