Make an Appointment
To schedule your first appointment, call, click here, or visit any one of our three convenient locations. First appointments are typically available within 3 days. We encourage you to call as early in the semester as possible. Appointments are provided to students in the order that they are scheduled. Please note that all first appointments are conducted via a HIPAA compatible teleconferencing platform. If you need a private space to do a telehealth appointment, please contact CAPS for assistance.
SS-8 Room 229
(Second floor of breezeway south end, above the food court)
Student Resources Building Room 111
Student Union Building SD206e
(Second floor Student Union)
Emergency appointments are available each day the CAPS center is open. Call or walk-in to have our receptionist help to get you scheduled with the next available counselor and/or psychologist. Click here for our hours of operation. Click here for emergency services information.
What should I expect?
The first appointment will provide you with an opportunity to discuss your issue/concerns with a counselor in a confidential setting.
- All first appointments are conducted via a HIPAA compatible teleconferencing platform (e.g. Zoom or WebEx). Please plan to connect from a private space using a device with a camera and microphone on a secure wifi connection. If you do not have a private space for a telehealth session, please contact CAPS for assistance.
- Typically, first appointments last approximately 30 minutes. You and your counselor will discuss your current concerns and come up with a plan to get you help you need.
- We will email you a link to a virtual meeting space as well as initial paperwork prior to your scheduled first appointment. Paperwork typically takes about 15 minutes to complete. If you do not complete the paperwork prior to your scheduled appointment, you may need to be rescheduled. Your paperwork is stored on our secure server and reviewed by your clinician once you are on the video call. Please note, if you reschedule, cancel, or no show for your first appointment your paperwork will be deleted from our system without being reviewed.
- Many students find that the first appointment is sufficient to meet their needs and concerns.Other students may require ongoing support. Regardless of your situation, your counselor will listen to you and evaluate your situation, and determine what internal/external resources/referrals are a best match for you.
- These resources/referrals may include services offered at CAPS or a referral to other campus or community services.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please provide 24 hours notice so that we can give that appointment time to another student.
- You will receive an email or text reminder the day before your appointment.