WELCOME TO THE MATH BOOT CAMP
WHAT IS THE MATH BOOT CAMP?
The Math Boot Camp is a short and intensive noncredit web-based math workshop to help students improve their math skills and place into a more advanced mathematics class (MAC1105 or higher). The boot camp provides group instruction together with ALEKS remediation modules to assist students.
WHAT IS ALEKS?
“ALEKS (Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces) is a Web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system. ALEKS uses adaptive questioning to quickly assess the students' knowledge. ALEKS then instructs the students on topics they are most ready to learn.” (https://www.aleks.com/about_aleks)
Students start the MBC by taking an ALEKS assessment to determine the areas to focus on. Students then continue into the remediation modules with the assistance of MBC Assistants and Kevin Drees/Mathematics Instructor. Students retake the ALEKS assessment at the end of the camp to determine their course placement.
WHO NEEDS THE MATH BOOT CAMP?
The boot camp serves all undergraduate students who would like to:
- Repeat a mathematics course for the 3rd attempt or 2nd attempt for students from the College of Engineering.
- Place into a higher level mathematics course by achieving a better score on the ALEKS Placement exam.
- Improve their success in their next mathematics course or mathematics course currently underway.
- Review and improve their ability in mathematics after a long absence (one year or more)
If your are required to take the MBC before registering for a mathematics course for a second or third attempt, you must fulfill 36 hours in either the Math Emporium Lab on the Boca Raton Campus or On-Line. Students are also required to reach a minimum score on the ALEKS Placement exam given at the end of each Boot Camp. Students are strongly encouraged to sign up for their course directly following the boot camp. Success rates are proven to be much better when doing so.
The cost for each boot camp is $200. Additional fees will include $33 for the ALEKS Placement and Learning Modules which will be used during the MBC. If you are required to repeat the MBC Program (having taken the camp once before), there is a discounted fee of $150 if you do it within one year of the last full fee course attended. You can also repeat the course to elevate your tests scores and use the repeat discount. If you are a returning student and would like to receive the discount code, simply call our office for instructions, 561.297.1036 or email Wendy Kasten at email@example.com or Kevin Drees at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please notify us by phone or email at least 48 hours before the course begins if you must cancel a course. You will receive a full refund for the canceled boot camp. If less than 48 hours notice is given, you will be charged a $15 processing fee for the cancellation. No cancellations will be accepted AFTER a course begins. If a course is cancelled by us for any reason, you will receive a full refund.
Non-degree-seeking students and non-FAU students may enroll in a boot camp on a space availability basis.
BOOT CAMP DATES
JANUARY BOOT CAMP
In Person or Online January 2 - 8, 2022 10:00am - 5:00pm
MAY BOOT CAMP
In Person or Online May 6 - 15, 2022 10:00am - 4:00pm - Weekends 2:30pm - 7:30pm - Weekdays
JUNE BOOT CAMP
In Person or Online Dates TBD
- The boot camps are done on the Boca Raton Campus, in the Math Emporium Lab (Bldg. 43 Room SE150).
- Students must complete 36 hours during the times of the boot camp, you do not have to come to every session, but your hours must add up to 36 hours or more.
- Students will take the ALEKS Assessment on your first day of MBC, you do NOT have to take it in the FAU testing center prior to the boot camp.
- Successful students attend a minimum of 3-4 hours in one sitting.
- Leaving most of your hours until the very last day is NOT a good practice
- Students must fill out a 3rd Attempt form with your college, on the form they provide in their office.
- Hours do NOT carry over from one camp to the next.
- We unfortunately do NOT provide financial aid.
" This program has completely changed the way I will do math forever. I learned exactly what it takes to be successful in math and now have the skills for life to be successful in my future math classes. "
" Rather than feeling as I ran a marathon, I felt I had completed a high-level workout regimen, the results self-evident. While I now have better math fundamentals, more so, I also now carry something that was lost throughout my several years in academia, enjoyment in the pursuit of learning, as well as the realization that ultimately my attitude has changed forever. "
" Math Boot Camp was overall a great experience. My math skills sharpened and my ALEKS score went up, everyone was a pleasure and really helped me to understand some complex concepts. "