Apply for your VA Education Benefits

Review and explore your eligibility for VA education benefit. Some students may be eligible for more than one benefits program.

  1. Before applying
    1. Determine which federal VA educational benefit program(s) you qualify for.
    2. Use the GI BillComparison tool to compare the monetary assistance provided by each VA educational benefit program with your institute of interest or choice.
    3. Gather the information and paperwork needed for your benefit program. 
    4. Make sure your program of study is VA approved at your institute. Our approved programs list is located on the homepage of our (MVSSC) website, the list is updated with each new catalog or fiscal year. 
    5. Complete the VA Education Benefits Application Process. *You do not have to be an FAU Student to apply
  2. VA Links
  1. GI Bill® and other education benefit eligibility 
  2. Use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool to see programs by school. 
  3. VA education and training information 
  4. School Decision Resources 

Note:   Please review the off-campus resources tab on our website for a more general list webpages relevant to military and veterans in our area. 

  1. VA Benefit Chapters
    1. Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty 
    2. Chapter 31 Veterans Readiness & Employment (VR&E)
    3. Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
    4. Chapter 35 Dependents Educational Assistance
    5. Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserves
  1. VA Forms

If this is your first time using the GI Bill, be sure to apply for your education benefits with the VA. If you use your GI Bill at another institute, made sure to complete a request for change of program/place of training form with the VA. 

  1. Apply for education benefits (VA-Form 22-1990) for Service Members and Veterans, Ch. 30, 33, 1606
  2. Apply for education benefits (VA-Form 22-5490) Dependents’ application, Ch. 33 (transferred) & Ch. 35
  3. Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995) – (Service Members and Veterans) Beneficiaries of Chapter 30, 33, and 1606 who have previously used their GI Bill® at another institution. 
  4. Dependents’ Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-5495) – Dependents using Chapter 35 or the Fry Scholarship who have used their GI Bill® at another institution
  5. Apply for veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) Benefits for disabled veterans Ch. 31

Note: VA form are accessible via the Department of Veterans Affairs webpage at