Pre-Arrival Information

Pre-Arrival Brochure for F-1 Students

Pre-Arrival Brochure for J-1 Students

Pre-Arrival Orientation Powerpoint Presentation

Checklist for New International Students

Activate your FAU Account  

Your FAUNet ID is generated when you have been admitted to FAU. The FAUNet ID will be provided to you in your Acceptance letter. To begin using your FAUNet ID you must first activate it by going to the FAU Account Self-Services portal:

Request and obtain your I-20  

International students who wish to study in the U.S. must request a form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for F1 non-immigrant visa) from the International Services office. Click here for more information.

You can obtain your I-20 in person or via mail. Please note that email copies are not valid. In person: You can pick up your I-20 in person or have a family member or friend pick it up in your behalf (for security purposes, please send us the name of the person picking up your I-20 via email prior to the pick up day). Via mail: Our office has available EXPRESS mailing of I-20.Click here for more information.

Review and sign I-20  

Upon receipt, review the enclosed I-20 carefully. Sign page 1 after confirming all information is accurate and after reading the information on page 3.

Pay the SEVIS fee  

Newly admitted students who enter the U.S. for the first time in F-1 status must pay the SEVIS fee ($350) prior to applying for their visa. Payment information is available at ""

Obtain the F-1 or J-1 Visa  
  • If you are currently abroad, visit a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country to apply for a visa. You will have to present your I-20 issued by Florida Atlantic University (FAU), passport (valid at least six months into the future), FAU admission letter, and financial documents to prove availability of funds for your education and living expenses.
  • Application procedures for the F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant visa vary among consular posts. Please contact the consular office where you plan to obtain your visa for appointment information, forms, fees, and other application details.
  • Canadian students must pay the SEVIS fee but do not have to apply for the F-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy
  • DO NOT ENTER THE U.S. using a B-1/B-2 tourist visa. B-1/B-2 (tourist) visa holders are not allowed to enroll as students.

Please check this guide for the visa application process:

If you are currently in the U.S. and/or already have an F-1 visa from another university or other visa type, please contact our office for more information.

Make housing arrangements  
  • To live on-campus, students should apply far in advance of the semester start date. For further housing information, visit the housing website at or call 561-297-2880. International students who already have housing arrangements may check in early (additional cost will apply). Please contact the International Services office if you need more information about earlier arrival on campus.
  • For off-campus housing information please click here.
Register for the new international student orientation AND appropriate university-wide orientation  

As a new international student you will need to attend multiple orientations (there are orientations specific to first-year students, transfer students, graduate students, and graduate teaching assistants). We will lift your "IS hold" once you complete all the documentation needed for I-20 AND register for the new international student orientation and check-in (click here to register and complete the Immigration Orientation and Check-In Pre-arrival Registration Form)

Prepare for money matters  

Open an Bank Account When you go to the bank to open a bank account, you will need to bring:

  • Your full name, home address, home telephone number, your campus telephone number, and letters showing the local address – i.e. utility bills or apartment contract)
  • Unexpired passport
  • I-94 card
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Any secondary form of identification (such as: your passport, your Student ID card, birth certificate, state driver’s license, or a letter from the International Students and Scholars Office)
  • Enrollment verification letter from your school

You will also need the funds you want to deposit and open the account with. Every bank has slightly different requirements, so make sure you ask beforehand so you don’t forget something you need. PNC Bank office is located on FAU Boca Raton campus also offers Virtual Wallet Student, please click here for information and features of this service.FAU PNC Office PNC ATMs on Campus

  • Lobby of the Student Support Services, Boca Raton campus
  • Breezeway Food Court, Boca Raton campus
  • Lobby of the Administration Building, Boca Raton campus
  • Stadium, Boca Raton campus
  • Student Lounge, Davie campus
  • Student Lounge, Jupiter campus

You are expected to have sufficient funds for the period of studies as indicated on the I-20 or DS-2019. Click here for more information about the cost of attendance. For your initial arrival bring cash or travelers' checks to cover your initial expenses, medical insurance, tuition/fees, books and supplies, and initial housing arrangements. Individual financial needs vary greatly, but we recommend that you have at least $3000.00 to $4000.00 in travelers' checks or arrange for a wire transfer of funds that can be immediately available. Florida Atlantic University (FAU) also offers Installment Payment Plans, which are payment options designed to provide budgetary assistance in meeting a student’s term education expenses. Click here to learn more: Payment Plans If you are a graduate student with an assistantship, it may take a month or longer after the beginning of the semester to receive your first payment from the university. Thus you will need to have some funds available to cover your initial expenses. How to pay for tuition from abroad? Flywire: Paying tuition with Flywire is safe, fast, and convenient. To learn more about the simple steps to make your payment(s) please visit: Making Secure Payments through Flywire

Submit immunization records  

Florida State Law requires all students to be immunized against Measles and Rubella. Prior to registration you will have to provide medical certificates in English showing you received the required immunizations, or you will have to receive immunizations upon arriving at FAU (for an additional cost to you). Proof of immunization is required prior to registration. To submit your immunization records, please complete the following steps:

  • Review the immunization requirements.
  • New Undergraduate students: Please complete the immunization compliance process in your OwlDone portal.
  • Graduate and Non-Degree Students: Please log into Med+Proctor directly to provide your proof of immunization.
  • Questions about compliance and record collection should be directed to Med+Proctor. For questions about your immunization holds or other FAU related matters, please contact Student Health Services.
Required medical insurance information  

All F1 and J-1 students in the United States are required to have health insurance that meets the university’s requirements. International students will be routinely enrolled in the university-sponsored Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP), and the insurance premium will be charged to the student’s FAU account. International students who wish to use an alternate insurance plan that meets state-mandated coverage guidelines must submit a waiver form by the deadline. To submit a waiver, go to students are required to have medical insurance Students who do not submit a waiver form by the deadline will have the premium for SHIP added to their student account. Eligibility requirements for Alternate Insurance and waiver deadline information: .

Clear registration holds that prevent you from registering in classes  
  • Undergraduate students: Please check your OwlDone Portal for more information.
  • Graduate students: Please log into your MyFau Portal and review this pdf for more information.

For more information about holds, please visit: Check holds:

Register for classes  

Consult with your academic advisor regarding course selection/registration. View holds: . For more information in regards to how to enroll for classes and resolve holds please visit: International students on student visas must be registered full-time as arranged by the Office of International Services and the student services advisor. Full-time study for graduate (masters/PhD) students is designated as 9 units (credit hours) each fall and spring semester; and 12 units for undergraduate students We highly encourage you to enroll for classes as soon as possible. Classes get full and close quickly during registration. For more information about registration and enrollment please click here

Join the International Friends Program!  

We have students from all over the world at FAU ready to help you and answer all your questions. They are a great resources before you arrive at FAU and during your studies at FAU.

Prepare for entry to the United States  

U.S. immigration regulations do not allow international students to enter the U.S. more than 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019. So,the earliest you can enter the U.S. is 30 days prior the I-20 program start date. If you are unable to arrive in Boca Raton in the date of international orientation and immigration check-in, you must notify International Student Services at . At the port of entry (i.e. Fort Lauderdale International Airport, Miami International Airport, etc.) you will need to present the following documents:

  • passport with valid F-1 or J-1 visa stamp,
  • FAU I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Additional supporting documents:
  • proof of enrollment
  • proof of finances
  • other documents to help you answer questions about the purpose of your entry to the U.S., what you will be studying, etc.
  • For more information about how to prepare for your entry in the United States, please visit:


back to top

Arriving at FAU

Check-in with the International Services office  
  • We have scheduled check-in dates at the beginning of every term. Please visit click here for more information about the new international student check-in process and available dates.
  • If you arrive past the check-in dates, please visit the International Services office as soon as you arrive on campus. Check the ISS website for office hours and holiday closings.
  • Upon entering the United States you will be assigned an electronic I-94 record. Once you already entered the U.S. go to to print a copy of your I-94 record. You will be later on required to present it at our International Services Office.
Attend the appropriate Orientation  

Attend the new international student orientation and appropriate university-wide orientation (there are orientations specific to first-year students, transfer students, graduate students, and graduate teaching assistants).

Course registration  
FAU First Year Connections  

Whether a first-year or transfer student, the program introduces students new to FAU to a faculty, staff, graduate student, or undergraduate peer mentor. Matches are made based on academic interests, co-curricular involvement, and shared goals for a mentoring relationship.

Apply here: First Year Connections Program

Mentee: Any undergraduate student new to FAU within their first two semesters of enrollment not already affiliated with a mentoring program.

Mentor: FAU faculty, staff, and graduate students. Undergraduate peer mentors are selected through an application process.

Travel and Transportation Guide to FAU Boca Campus  

Click here for the here for the Travel and Transportation Guide to FAU Boca Campus.


back to top

Important Contact Infomation at FAU

International Services Office  
Undergraduate Admissions  
Graduate Admissions  
Registrar's Office  
Housing and Residential Education  
Student Health Services and Immunizations Office  
International Student Health Insurance Office  


back to top