J-1 Visa General Information

The J visas category is used for exchange students, interns and scholars. The J-1 visa program monitored by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security through an electronic database called Student and Exchange Visitor Information System or SEVIS. For more information about the SEVIS, also referred to as the SEVP (Student Exchange Visitor Program) click  here. Each student/intern/scholar has a unique SEVIS ID number assigned to him/her and noted on the immigration form DS-2019. The DS-2019 is used to apply for an J-1 visa at a US Consulate or Embassy abroad. The DS-2019 is also proof of eligibility to obtain J-1 status for the purpose of coming to the U.S. The J-1 Status is granted upon entering the U.S. or upon receiving change of status approval through an application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.

The J-1 section of the ISSS page has been designed to facilitate reporting and collection of information J-1 visa holders to help them maintain legalJ-1 status during their stay in the U.S. It also provides a wealth of information to help J-1 visa holders weave through the maze of immigration rules that they need to follow.

Click on the following links for further information about: