Ghari Shirley, M.Ed.
Ph.D. In Counseling, Graduate Research Assistant
- M.Ed. Counselor Education, Specialization: Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling, Florida Atlantic University
TITLES / EMPLOYMENT:
- Graduate Research Assistant, FAU Clinical Rehabilitation Program’s Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) grant
- Past-President of Chi Sigma Iota (CSI) Beta Rho Chi Chapter, FAU’s counseling honor society
Mr. Shirley is a certified rehabilitation counselor (CRC) who has served as a research-focused clinical rehabilitation counselor and team facilitator. He has worked as a vocational rehabilitation counselor, managing a caseload of over 150 clients with mental and physical disabilities and providing essential job placement services, such as interviewing skills, resume building, and assessment of the local job market. He has recently been employed as a Vocational Expert, consulting on disability cases.
Through the participation in several grants, Mr. Shirley has developed educational programs revolving around self-employment services for individuals with disabilities and serious mental illness, as well as for federal and state agencies that serve individuals with disabilities. Mr. Shirley has two publications pending, a presentation seen by over 200 federal personnel, and an invitation to join a similar program with the Federal Bureau of Prisons working with inmates soon to be released.
AWARDS / PUBLICATIONS:
- 2019 - recognized as a Top Performing Rehabilitation Counselor in job placement with his employer (Greenacres Vocational Rehabilitation)
- 2022 - Outstanding Graduate Student of the Year, Department of Counselor Education, Florida Atlantic University
ONE THING EVERY FAU STUDENT SHOULD EXPERIENCE:
I believe every student should take advantage of the opportunity to join and serve a professional organization. The friendship and fellowship I've received serving Chi Sigma Iota has been a fundamental part of my success at the graduate level here at Florida Atlantic University.
ADVICE FOR FELLOW STUDENTS:
Stay open-minded and hungry for new opportunities and success.