Mission, Vision & Values
The ACCESS Program at FAU utilizes a holistic approach in assisting students in their first and second year, providing individually tailored support by way of academic coaching/advising, career counseling and academic support programs. By establishing a positive environment, we will provide students with the opportunity to learn the necessary skills to progress toward degree completion.
The ACCESS Program is based on the Appreciative Advising model. It is the intentional collaborative practice of asking positive, open-ended questions that help students optimize their educational experience and achieve their dreams, goals and potential. The advisee and coach/advisor, as partners, work together to discover the student’s passions and dreams, design a plan to achieve those dreams, deliver on that plan, and make changes as necessary to achieve their goals.
The ACCESS program at Florida Atlantic University aspires to establish a partnership with students that will enrich their educational experience and empower them to develop meaningful educational, career, and life goals.
- Promote academic success for first and second-year students
- Increase student engagement
- Empower students to become self directed learners
- Make decisions that are grounded in Student Development Theory
- Respect and value diverse life challenges, creating an environment that is inclusive of all
- Increase first to second and second to third-year retention rates
- Adhere to the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) core values