Create your strategy for gaining experience and successfully building toward your future. Become internship and career ready. Regularly visit with a career coach throughout your time at FAU.
Learn how to schedule an appointment at https://fau.edu/career/students/
Specific Careers & Graduate Programs
- Narrow your career focus and follow companies/organizations/programs of interest on social media, Handshake or LinkedIn.
- Explore graduate school & speak to faculty to learn about programs and graduate student positions to help fund your education.
- Identify graduate school & internship search resources to organize your search.
Prepare for the Internship/Job Search
- Create a resume and get it critiqued with a career coach.
- Identify internships or organizations in Handshake of interest.
- Do a practice mock interview to gain experience with interviewing.
- Attend the Internship & Part-Time Job Fair (available every fall and spring semester).
- Get a free Professional Headshot at the Career Centers’ in-house photo studio & professional attire, as needed,
from the Owl’s Professional Clothes Closet.
- Participate in a job shadow experience through the FAU ExSEL program.
- Consider what types of companies or locations you are interested in working at and attend networking events, workshops and career fairs to start making connections.
- Utilize Handshake’s Student-Alumni Community Resource or Owl Alumni Networks to connect with FAU alumni who had similar experiences and interests.
- Create a professional LinkedIn profile, join LinkedIn groups of interest and connect with 25 individuals that you find interesting.
Secure an Internship
- Apply to internships the semester before you intend to intern.
- Consider earning academic credit for your internship and enrolling in
- Find ways to stand out at your internship by meeting with an Internship Specialist.
- Attend the JCPenney Suit-Up event or visit the Owl Professional Clothes Closet to start building your professional wardrobe.
Recommended Online Tools
and Owl Networks
Handshake Job/Internship and employer postings
Apply for Jobs and/or Graduate Programs
- Research and learn companies’ benefit options and decide what is important to you.
- Prepare and submit application materials for jobs or graduate programs.
- Prepare to take graduate entrance exams (GRE, MCAT, LSAT), if needed, or obtain other certifications/licensures related to your career goals.
- Consolidate your post-graduation strategy and plans.
- Attend the Career Expo, other career fairs and other networking fairs.
Prepare for the Transition from College to Career
- Learn how to make an impact at your first job out of college and how to leverage your skills to stand out.
- Adapt to a new work schedule by using calendar tools such as Google Calendar or Outlook.
- Update your professional headshot.
Maintain Networking Contacts
- Stay connected with faculty and colleagues after you leave FAU.
- Join the FAU Alumni Association.
- Remain active on Handshake and LinkedIn.
Note- Handshake is available to you as an alumni and career services are free up to one-year post-graduation.
Recommended Online Tools
FAU Alumni Association