NSF REU Site in Sensing and Smart Systems
Florida Atlantic University's Institute for Sensing and Embedded Network Systems Engineering (I-SENSE) hosts an intensive summer research program in sensing and smart systems for talented undergraduate students across the country.
Closely related to the Internet of Things, smart systems represent an emerging class of distributed systems that provide real-time awareness of conditions, trends, and patterns to support improved decision-making, and often, automation. The on-campus research will focus on I-SENSE's three main program areas: Infrastructure Systems, Marine and Environment and Health and Behavior.
YOUR FLORIDA EXPERIENCE
- This paid, nine-week program focuses on training, mentoring, research and an overall experience for students that prepares them for graduate studies or careers in science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) disciplines.
- Participants will typically work from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, with one hour for lunch.
- Undergraduate researchers are paid a stipend of $600/week along with a $130 meal allowance, also per week.
- Participants will be housed in apartment-style dormitories on FAU's Boca Raton, just three miles from the beach.
There are eight research projects planned for this summer. See which projects you're interested in.
Infrastructure Systems: Smart, Resilient, and Green Energy Systems
Led by Yufei Tang , Ph.D.
Infrastructure Systems: Human-in-the-loop Digital Twins for Smart Cities
Led by Jinwoo Jang, Ph.D.
Marine and Environment: The Internet of Floating Things
Led by Georgios Sklivanitis, Ph.D.
Marine and Environment: Development and Testing of a Wave Powered Offshore Sensing System
Led by James VanZwieten, Ph.D.
Health and Behavior: Next-Gen Health Monitoring Empowered by Python Programming and Deep Learning Applications
Led by Behnaz Ghoraani, Ph.D.
Health and Behavior: Soft Sensors and Actuators for Wearables to Assist People with Disabilities
Led by Erik Engeberg, Ph.D.
Modern Cybersecurity in IoT Devices
Led by Reza Azarderakhsh, Ph.D.
HOW TO APPLY
Application Deadline: March 8, 2024
First Round Notification Date: March 15, 2024
Start Date: June 3, 2024
End Date: August 2, 2024 (ceremony on Thursday, August 1st)
- Undergraduate students majoring in science or engineering.
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
- Minorities and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Selections will be based on a combination of research interests, academic qualifications, and faculty recommendations.
FAU’s REU in Sensing and Smart Systems is supported through National Science Foundation award #CNS-1950400.
For additional information please contact Yufei Tang at (561)297-4981 or Yami Triana at (561)297-2886 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let's have an adventure. Collect experiences and meet people you'll never forget. It's time to write your story, and we've got the perfect setting.