Undergraduate Academic Petition Process
In keeping with FAU policy, the College of Education allows for an academic petition to be considered when a particular academic requirement or regulation causes undue hardship for an undergraduate student.
Petitions cannot be filed for:
- Grievances against instructors. See University Regulation 4.001 for Honor Code, Academic Irregularities, and Student’s Academic Grievances at http://www.fau.edu/regulations.
- Medical or Exceptional Circumstance withdrawals during an ongoing semester. See Dean of Students Office at http://www.fau.edu/dean/.
- Financial matters, including refunds for dropped classes or withdrawals See Student Financial Services for further information at http://www.fau.edu/controller/student-services/forms.php.
Steps to Petitioning:
- Complete the College of Education Petition form.
- Write a letter explaining the circumstances of the petition, indicating what you would like to have happen.
- Supporting evidence must be provided, which may include letters from employers and/or medical documentation.
- Include a letter of support on university letterhead SIGNED by the instructor(s) of the course(s) in question.
- Submit your petition and all accompanying documents listed above to an Academic Advisor.
- Students are strongly urged to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor for further information.
- A decision will be made & communicated to the student via FAU email within 10 days of receipt of the completed petition submitted with all documentation.
- Failure to include all documentation will result in the petition being returned to the student with no decision rendered.
- As per FAU’s policy, petitions related to academic withdrawals will not be accepted after one academic year from the end of the semester in which the course was taken.