Dr. Ira Bogotch
I have been a faculty member in the Department of Educational Leadership and Research Methods at FAU since 2000. My primary areas of interest are socio-cultural and historical factors influencing school leadership, leadership pedagogies, internationalizing educational leadership, theorizing on the possible relationships between school leaders and social justice, and recently looking at Newcomers (i.e., refugees/asylum-seekers) and critiquing research methods.
- Arar, K., Brooks, J., & Bogotch, I. (Eds.) (2019). Education, Immigration and Migration: Policy, Leadership and Praxis for a Changing World. Emerald Publishing
- Bogotch, I. (in press). What Our Research Methods Tell Us About Educational Leadership and More… HANDBOOK OF LEADERSHIP IN EDUCATION, Professor Philip A. Woods (University of Hertfordshire, UK), Dr Amanda Roberts (Educational Consultant and University of Hertfordshire, UK), Dr Meng Tian (University of Bath, UK), Dr Howard Youngs (AUT, New Zealand) (Eds.)
- Arar, K., Guajardo, M., & Bogotch, I. (in press). The “Beyond” Spaces of Social Justice Leadership. … In Elgar HANDBOOK OF LEADERSHIP IN EDUCATION, Professor Philip A. Woods (University of Hertfordshire, UK), Dr Amanda Roberts (Educational Consultant and University of Hertfordshire, UK), Dr Meng Tian (University of Bath, UK), Dr Howard Youngs (AUT, New Zealand) (Eds.)
- Bogotch, I, Kervin, C., Pappas, D., & Silliman, E. (2019). Towards a socially just system of newcomer school integration. In Papas, R. & English, F. (Eds.) Handbook on promoting social justice in education. Springer Publishing.
- Bogotch, I. & Kervin, C. (2019). Policy and Leadership Dilemmas: Syrian Newcomer Integration in Ontario, Canada. In K. Arar, J. Brooks, & I. Bogotch (Eds). Education and Immigration: Policy, Leadership and Praxis. Emerald Publishing
- Su-Keene, E., & Bogotch, I (2021) Commentary–Can educational leadership researchers and school leaders both learn from failure? Yes, we can if together! Journal of Educational Administration https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/JEA-08-2021-266/full/pdf?title=commentary-can-educational-leadership-researchers-and-school-leaders-both-learn-from-failure-yes-we-can-if-together
- Bogotch, I. (2021). Afterword: inserting social justice into professional development. Professional Development in Education 47 (1), 191-196 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344568946_Afterword_Inserting_Social_Justice_into_Professional_Development-1
- Bogotch, I, Faubert, B., Pfeifer, M. & Wieckert, S., Kervin, C. & Pappas, D. (2019s). Political and Economic Gamble: Why Two Jurisdictions in Canada and Germany Made the Right Decisions in Welcoming Syrian Newcomers, 2015-Present. Special Issue for the International Journal of Leadership in Education, co-edited by K. Arar & D. Waite. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Political-and-economic-gamble%3A-why-two-in-Canada-in-Bogotch-Faubert/b248bcce53b36d127832c9ad5443b0f9cccfe26f
Prior to coming to FAU (I have earned my Ed.D. from Florida International University), I was on the school leadership faculty at the University of New Orleans from 1990-2000. Beginning in the historic year of 1968, my educational leadership journey has taken me from New York City, Gurabo, Puerto Rico, Chapel Hill, NC, Guatemala City, Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Miami, New Orleans, to Boca Raton. While at FAU, I have worked on projects in Quito, Ecuador, New Orleans, LA, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Glasgow/Stirling/Edinburgh, Scotland and Griffith University in Brisbane, Australia. In 2021, I hosted a visiting Fulbright scholar from Morocco.
The majority of my service to the field has come through my work with academic journals, serving on the editorial boards for Urban Education, Educational Administration Quarterly, Journal of School Leadership, The Professional Educator, The Scholar-Practitioner Quarterly and most recently the Journal of Research on Leadership Education and the Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership. I was the Associate Editor for the International Journal of Leadership in Education for over a decade. Working with Sense (now Brill) Publishers, Tony Townsend and I wrote, edited and published three books, Leadership for Learning, MacBeath and Cheng, Radicalizing Educational Leadership, Bogotch, Beachum, Blount, Brooks, and English, and The Elusive What and the Problematic How, Townsend and Bogotch. I also served as a regional editor for the International Handbook of Leadership for Learning edited by Townsend and MacBeath (2011). In 2014, I completed editing the Springer International Handbook with Carolyn Shields on Social (In)Justice and Educational Leadership. Three years later, I co-edited another International Handbook collaboration with Professor Duncan Waite for Wiley-Blackwell (2017). My latest co-edited book was with Kalid Arar and Jeffrey Brooks on educational policies affecting refugees around the world. It was published by Emerald Publishing (UK).
Dr. Ira Bogotch
Department of Educational Leadership and Research Methodology
Office Phone: 561-297-3550
Office Location: ED 47 - 252