FAQ - Housing Contract
- I have been accepted to the university. Now what?
- What is the Housing Contract?
- Am I required to live on campus?
- How do I apply for Housing at FAU?
- What if I receive a message stating my payment method was unsuccessful?
- Do I need to pay my Tuition Deposit before signing a Housing Contract?
- Do I have to sign up for a meal plan?
- Is there a deadline for signing up for Housing?
- I have the Florida Pre-Paid Dormitory Plan. What does this mean for me at FAU?
- I have a disability and need to request a specific type of space. What should I do?
- I am an International Student. How can I apply as a degree seeking student?
- I am an International Student. How can I apply as a non-degree seeking student?
I have been accepted to the university. Now what?
Congratulations on your acceptance! Please go to the Owldone portal to complete Housing and complete your next steps.
Am I required to live on campus?
The 1st year live on requirement for students outside of 30 miles has been suspended starting for spring 2023. This does not apply to students attending the Wilkes Honors College. As we no longer have a live-on requirement if you want to live on campus you should apply early as housing does fill quickly.
How do I apply for Housing at FAU?
Please Note – There is a $100 non-refundable application fee required to complete a housing application. The FAU Housing contract is a legally binding document. It is similar to a lease, do not submit unless you read and agree to the terms stating that you want to live on campus. Print a copy of the contract for your own records.
- Login to the Housing Portal with your FAUNetID and password.
- Click on Housing Contracts and select the blue Apply button to start your housing contract.
- Read through the terms and conditions of the contract before agreeing to it.
- The next few web pages will be the Housing Contract questions page. Please answer all Housing Contract questions accurately.
- You will add three room preferences. Room preferences are not guaranteed. If your preference is not available the next closest room type will be assigned. Contracts and assignments cannot be cancelled and payment will not be refunded if your preferred room type is not available.
- You will select a meal plan if you are a first time to college student or preference a residence hall which requires a meal plan.
- Upon successful completion and submission of your online contract, you will receive an email confirming your contract was completed. Please check your FAU email account for the confirmation email. If you do not receive an email confirmation your submission failed. We will not be able to process your contract and you will have to resubmit the contract.
What if I receive a message stating my payment method was unsuccessful?
If your selected payment method results in this message being displayed, we will not be able to make the payment accepted by the payment system. Rest assured, your credit card or bank account is not charged when this message appears. You may take one of the following steps to correct this:
• Use another credit card
• Use an electronic check
Do I need to pay my Tuition Deposit before signing a Housing Contract?
Yes, your housing contract will not be considered for processing if you have not completed your Tuition Deposit with the University. Please check with the Admissions office at 561-297-3040 for the deadline to pay the tuition deposit.
Do I have to sign up for a meal plan?
Students who are assigned to the residence halls (Glades Park Towers, Heritage Park Towers, Indian River Towers, Parliament Hall) do require a meal plan. Students assigned to both the Innovation Village North and South Apartments, or the University Village Apartments do NOT have to buy a meal plan, because they have their own full kitchens in each apartment. Students living in the apartments are free to purchase Owl Bucks or a commuter meal plan. Please visit the Dining Services website for more information.
Is there a deadline for signing up for Housing?
We encourage incoming new first year student and new transfer student to apply by April 1. Priority is given by date of the housing contract is completed. While there is no particular deadline to sign up for Housing, students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to avoid being placed on a waiting list for Housing.
I have the Florida Pre-Paid Dormitory Plan. What does this mean for me at FAU?
The Florida Pre-Paid Dormitory Plan is designed to pay for a double-occupancy, air-conditioned residence hall room at a State University in Florida. At Florida Atlantic University, this is currently defined as a double room in Heritage Park Towers or Glades Park Towers. Florida Pre-Paid determines the allowable housing amount by June 1st of each year. A Student who is a Florida Pre-Paid Dormitory Plan participant may request a room preference that is not covered by Florida Pre-Paid. However, students is responsible for any charges not covered by the Florida Pre-Paid Dormitory Plan. The Dormitory Plan will not cover the $100 application processing fee.
I have a disability and need to request a specific type of space. What should I do?
A limited number of spaces are designed to be accessible and can accommodate students with special needs. The specific nature of your disability should be identified so we can work with you to meet your needs and make your assignment. You must register with the Student Accessibility Services. Specific written documentation will be requested from you and your physician or diagnostician to support the request; that documentation will be evaluated by the SAS staff and recommendations to the Housing Office will be made regarding your needs, the appropriate modifications, and assignments. The process of review does take some time. The Housing Office is not able to honor requests for special accommodations without an evaluation from the SAS staff, and you need to complete the Housing Contract and SAS paperwork prior to June 1 for a Fall start, November 1 for a Spring start, and April 1 for a Summer start.
I am an International Student. How can I apply as a degree seeking student?
International students who will be degree-seeking should apply through the regular International Admissions Application process. Please visit the International Students Admissions website to get started with the admissions process.
I am an International Student. How can I apply as a non-degree seeking student?
International students who are part of an exchange or cooperative program that have an institutional agreement with FAU may apply to live on campus as a non-degree seeking student, please look at our living options. Once you determine you want to live on campus, complete the housing application and contract. Please visit the International Programs website for more information.