Proposing a Study Abroad Program
Education Abroad provides advising and support services to new and returning FAU employees interested in offering an FAU credit-bearing course with a 1-8 week international travel component--also known as a faculty-led program. The University has a robust development and approval process for faculty, staff, adjuncts, and administrators leading students abroad on an academic program. In collaboration with both Academic and Student Affairs & Enrollment Management leadership, Education Abroad is currently developing and strengthening existing policies and procedures to prepare all University travelers for the exciting and complex landscape of international travel abroad.
Regardless of when you intend to propose a faculty-led program, we encourage you to meet with our team to brainstorm and discuss the many possibilities for adding an international component to your academic course! Education Abroad has existing partnerships with schools, organizations, and vendors around the world and advises faculty leaders in the following:
- Program development
- Budget and finance
- Safety & security
- Recruitment and marketing
- Program evaluation
Want to learn more? Watch the recording of our Faculty-led Program Webinar!
Spring and Summer 2022 Programs
Proposing a faculty-led program requires submission of the Faculty-led Study Abroad Program Proposal Application and required supporting documents listed below. Faculty who have never led a program or have not proposed a program in 2 years or longer must contact Education Abroad Director, Madison McShane, at least 3 weeks prior to submitting a proposal to discuss new policies and procedures.
1. All faculty-led programs are required to utilize a vetted program provider or international partner university for program support. Prior to obtaining quotes and submitting documentation, contact Madison McShane for support in determining what provider or international partner university is best suited to help coordinate your faculty-led program.
2. All faculty-led programs must have either two FAU faculty/staff in-country during full length of program or at least one FAU faculty member with 24/hr access and support from an in-country coordinator for the full length of the program.
PROGRAM PROPOSAL SUBMISSION DEADLINES
Spring 2022 Programs: Thursday, June 24, 2021
Summer 2022 Programs:
Thursday, June 24, 2021 - Early submission option. This is strongly encouraged for any new programs or summer programs with a May start date.
Thursday, July 22, 2021 - Official submission deadline for summer 2022 programs.
The below required documents 1 - 7 must be submitted electronically by the appropriate deadline stated above.
Documents required after program proposal evaluation:
Documents 8 - 12 will be due approximately 2 weeks after proposal evaluation. An exact deadline will be provided upon evaluation feedback.
- Faculty-Led Program Budget Form with any updated quotes for expenditures (updated budget sheet)
- Program Leader Emergency, Health, & Reimbursement Form
Family & Friends Disclosure Form
- Family & Friends Release and Assumption of Risk Form
- Clear color copy of the biographical page of passport
Please note: additional documents or approvals may be required as we continue to navigate the situation with COVID-19.
After each submission deadline, a Review Committee meets to go over each proposal and give recommendations. Education Abroad works with the Review Committee, Center for Global Engagement, the Provost office, department chairs and colleges to determine if a proposal is approved. By submitting a proposal, approval is not guaranteed.
Each Program Proposal must be submitted in a complete packet upon submission to be considered for review. If a proposal is submitted after the submission deadline, there is no guarantee it will be reviewed.