Dr. Cristobal Salinas Jr.
Dr. Salinas is an associate professor in the Educational Leadership and Research Methodology Department at Florida Atlantic University. His research promotes access and equality in higher education and explores the social and political context of education opportunities for historically marginalized communities. Dr. Salinas is the Founder, and Editor-in-Chief for the Journal Committed to Social Change on Race and Ethnicity. He has published over 22 peer-reviewed articles, co-edited 5 books, and over 27 book chapters. He has received over 25 international and national awards for his commitment to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion. His research has been featured in CNN, NPR, Telemundo, and Good Morning America.
- Ph.D. Education (Educational Leadership & Policy Studies), Iowa State University
- M.Ed. Student Affairs and Higher Education, Iowa State University
- BAE. Spanish Education, English as a Second Language, Dance, University of Nebraska – Kearney
- Camacho, L., Salinas, C., Vasquez, M., Rodriguez, S., & Izaguirre, J.* (2021). A Valued Based Leadership Approach to (Re)Defining Latino Manhood and Masculinity. International Journal of Leadership Studies, 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603124.2020.1862921
- Swingle, E. & Salinas, C. (2020). Up, down and all around: The swirling-transfer collegiate athlete experience. Journal of Athlete Development and Experiences, 2(3), 162-181. https://doi.org/10.25035/jade.02.03.02
- Sembiante, S., Salinas, C., Ramirez, A., Silva, Y. & Vasquez, M. (2020). Experiences, Reflections, and Perspectives of Faculty Members with Foreign English Accents in Higher Education. Meridians: Feminism, race, transnationalism Journal, 19(2), 295-320. https://www.muse.jhu.edu/article/774535
- Salinas, C. (2020). The complexity of the “x” in Latinx: How Latinx/a/o students relate to, identify with, and understand the term Latinx. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, 19(2), 149-168. https://doi.org/10.1177/1538192719900382
- Salinas, C., & Rodríguez, C. (2020). Tocayo epistemology for Latino males in education. Journal of Latinos and Education, 1-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/15348431.2020.1714626
- Salinas, C., Riley, P., & Camacho, L., Floyd, D. L. (2020). Mentoring experiences and perceptions of Latino male faculty in higher education. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 42(1), 117-140. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739986319900026
- Gibson, G., & Salinas, C. (2020). Rewriting the narrative: Breaking the silence of a lifelong follower. Florida Atlantic Undergraduate Research Journal, 9(1), 39-43. https://journals.flvc.org/faurj/article/view/121687
- Salinas, C., Malavé, R., Torrens, O. D., & Swingle, E. (2019). “It is who we are. We are undocumented”: The narrative of undocumented Latino male students in a community college. Community College Review, 47(3), 295-317. DOI:10.177/0091552119850888
- Miller, A. & Salinas, C. (2019). A document analysis of student conduct offices in Florida’s community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2019.1600606
- Floyd, D. L, Salinas, C., & Ramdin, G. (2019). Publishing graduate students’ research about community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 43(10-11), 661-671. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2019.1605945
- Salinas, C., & Lozano, A. S. (2019). Mapping and recontextualizing the evolution of the term Latinx; An environmental scanning in higher education. Journal of Latino and Education, 18(4), 302-315. Online advance copy. https://doi.org/10.1080/15348431.2017.1390464
- Salinas, C., Elliott, K., Allen, K., McEwan, D., King, C. & Boldon, C. (2018). The role of spirituality for Black male community colleges students. Community College of Research and Practice, 42(7-8), 504-518. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2018.1429961
- Salinas, C., & Hidrowoh, J. (2018). Promoting financial literacy and Latino males’ success at community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 42(5), 330-339. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2017.1301276
- Salinas, C., Boettcher M., & Plagman-Galvin, J. (2018). A document analysis of anti-hazing policy. Oracle: The Research Journal of the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors, 13(1), 32-50. https://bit.ly/2LZkASm
- Salinas, C. (2018). A case study for a new peer-review Journal on Race and Ethnicity in American Higher Education. Publications, 6(26), 1-12. http://www.mdpi.com/2304-6775/6/2/26
- Torrens, O. D., Salinas, C., & Floyd, D. L. (2017). Examining the value of mentorship and men of color staff members of a community college. Mentorship & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, 25(5), 509-527. https://doi.org/10.1080/13611267.2017.1415830
- Salinas, C. (2017). Transforming academia and theorizing spaces for Latinx in higher education: Voces perdidas, Voces de poder. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 30(8), 746-758. https://doi.org/10.1080/09518398.2017.1350295
- Bader, D., Salinas, C., Maslin-Ostrowski, P. (2016). Using the wisdom development theory to conceptualize student professionalism development in community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 41(4-5), 329-332. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2016.1251356
- Salinas, C., & Friedel, J. N. (2016). Challenges and opportunities for community colleges state systems. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 40(6), 968-971. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2016.1142484
- Beatty, C., & Salinas, C. (2016). Providing spaces on college campuses and through social media for men of color to offer counterstories. Developments, 13(4), 6-12. https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/leadership_pubs/2/
- Friedel., J. N., Raby, R. L.^, & Salinas, C. (2014). Examining community college global counterpart completion agendas. Comparative & International Higher Education, (6), 28-32. https://ojed.org/index.php/jcihe/article/view/859
Books and Volumes
- Garcia, N. M., Salinas, C., Cisneros, J. (Eds.). (2021). Studying Latinx/a/o students in higher education: A critical analysis of concepts, theory and Methodologies. Routledge.
- Floyd, D. L., Salinas, C., Swingle, E., Zeledón-Pérez, M. J., Barhoum, S., & Ramdin, G. (Eds.). (2021). Graduate students’ research about community colleges: A guide for publishing. Routledge.
- Gillon, K. E^, Beatty, C., & Salinas, C. (2019). Critical consideration of race, ethnicity, and culture in fraternity and sorority Life. Jossey-Bass.
- Salinas, C. & Boettcher, M. (Eds.). (2018). Critical perspective on hazing in colleges and universities: A guide to disrupting the hazing culture. Routledge.
- Friedel, J. N.^, Salinas, C., Thornton, Z. M. (Eds.). (2015). Iowa’s community colleges: A collective history of 50 years of accomplishment. Iowa State University.
|2019||Equity & Social Justice Scholar Award, National Conference on Race and Ethnicity|
|2019||Florida Atlantic University Scholar of the Year|
|2019||Faculty Vice President’s Diamond Award, Division of Student Affairs|
|2018||Faculty/Staff Impact Award, Division of Student Affairs|
|2018||Faculty Fellow, American Association of Hispanics Higher Education|
|2017||Outstanding Social Justice Collaboration Award, ACPA|
|2017||Iowa State University Young Professional Award, College of Human Sciences & ISU Alumni Association|
|2017||Schuyler Central High School Distinguished Alumni Award|
|2016/2017||Emerging Faculty Leader Academy, NASPA|
|2015||Iowa State University Research Excellence Award|
|2015/2012||Iowa State University Teaching Excellence Award|
|2015||Iowa STATEment Maker Award, ISU Alumni Association|
|2015||Emerging Research Award, ACPA|
Dr. Cristobal Salinas
Department of Educational Leadership and Research Methodology
Office Phone: 561-297-3550
Office Location: ED 47 - 242