- Ph.D. Florida Atlantic University, Curriculum & Instruction: Educational Technology (2014)
- M. Phil. Columbia University, Politics and Education (2005)
- M.Ed. Columbia University, Politics and Education (2004)
- M.Ed. Florida Atlantic University, Elementary Education (1996)
- B. A. Mount Holyoke College, Spanish (1994)
Dr. Jillian Powers is an Associate Professor of Instructional Technology at Florida Atlantic University (FAU) for the College of Education in the department of Teaching and Learning. She earned her Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with a specialization in Instructional Technology from FAU in 2014. Prior to this position, Dr. Powers was an Instructional Technology Instructor at FAU. She has also served as an Instructional Designer at Palm Beach State College and has a decade of experience as a computer teacher in PreK-8 schools. At FAU, Dr. Powers teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in instructional technology and design. Her research focuses on ways in which technology shapes the teaching and learning process, teachers’ adoption and integration of technology into classroom practice, and preparing pre-service teachers to integrate technology into their future classrooms. Her research has been published in journals such as the Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia and College & Undergraduate Libraries. Dr. Powers has also presented at numerous conferences and currently serves as Co-Chair of the Information Literacy Education Special Interest Group for the Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education.
Areas of Expertise
- Educational Technology
- Instructional Design
- Technology and Teacher Education
- Quantitative and Qualitative Research
- Technology integration in K-12 education
- Information and media literacy education
- Computational thinking and STEM education
- Online and blended learning
- Assistive technology
- Musgrove, A., Powers, J., Gonzalez-DeHass, A., & Willems, P. (2019). Developing and Modeling Pedagogy with Interactive Video. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 28(1), 57-73.
- Musgrove, A. T., Powers, J. R., Rebar, L. C., & Musgrove, G. J. (2018). Real or fake? Resources for teaching college students how to identify fake news. College & Undergraduate Libraries, 25(3), 243-260.
- Bryan, V. C., Musgrove, A. T., & Powers, J. R. (Eds.) (2018). Handbook of research on human development in the digital age. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Powers, J. R. (2018). Parochial School Teachers Instructional Use of the Interactive Whiteboard. In Teacher Training and Professional Development: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (pp. 1502-1527). IGI Global.
- Powers, J. R., Musgrove, A. T., & Lowe, J. A. (2018). Technology shaping education in rural communities. In Bryan, V. C., Musgrove, A. T., & Powers, J. R. (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Human Development in the Digital Age, 184. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Brown, S. L., Bird, J. L., Musgrove, A., & Powers, J. (2017). Leading learning communities with creative practice. In V. C. X. Wang (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Strategic Leadership and Management (pp. 1379-1390). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Powers, J. & Musgrove, A. (2016). Putting the “P” into TPACK: Using digital tools to design 21st century lessons. In Liu, L. & Gibson, D. (Eds.). Research Highlights in Technology and Teacher Education 2016 (pp. 37-43). Waynesville, NC: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education.
- Brown, S., Bird, J., Musgrove, A. & Powers, J. (2016). The digital journey: Integrating technology into teaching and learning. In V. C. X. Wang (Ed.), Handbook of research on learning outcomes and opportunities in the digital age (pp. 611-642). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Dr. Jillian Powers
Associate Professor, Teaching and Learning
Department of Teaching and Learning
Office Phone: 561-297-1376
Office Location: ED 47 - 326