Ali A. Danesh, PH.D., FAAA, CCC-A
Primary research focus: Research and interest in the areas of tinnitus, hyperacusis, misophonia, auditory evoked potentials, auditory processing disorders, auditory responses in both normal and pathological populations, vestibular assessment, and diagnostic/rehabilitative audiology. Ali A. Danesh, Ph.D., CCC-A, FAAA, is currently a Professor at the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, and also has a Secondary appointment as Professor of Integrated Medical Sciences in the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, Florida Atlantic University (FAU), Boca Raton, Florida, where he teaches courses in neuroanatomy and neurophysiology of auditory and vestibular systems, audiology, genetics of communicative disorders, and aural rehabilitation. He also supervises graduate students at the FAU Communication Disorders Clinic. Dr Danesh has affiliate positions in the College of Science, Department of Psychology and The FAU Neurology Residency Program. Dr. Danesh obtained his B.Sc. in audiology from Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran, his M.S. in audiology from Idaho State University, Pocatello, Idaho, and his Ph.D. in audiology, with an emphasis on auditory electrophysiology, from the University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee. Dr. Danesh is an American Board of Audiology board certified practicing audiologist. His current clinical work concentrates on patients with tinnitus, vertigo and sound sensitivity (e.g., hyperacusis and misophonia).
Dr. Danesh has presented in many scientific conventions and has published in numerous professional and scientific journals. Professor Danesh is a member of FAU's Brain Institute (http://ibrain.fau.edu/institute-members.php). His recent research on Tinnitus and COVID-19 was recently published and was released by FAU newsdesk https://www.fau.edu/newsdesk/articles/tinnitus-pandemic-study.php
Tinnitus Lecture at Boca Raton Grand Rounds Feb 11, 2020: Tinnitus: Why We Should Not Say NO to our Patients (click below for PDF and audio file)
Recent Publications of Dr. Danesh:
- Aazh H, Hayes C, Moore BCJ, Danesh AA, Vitoratou S. (2022) Psychometric Evaluation of the Hyperacusis Impact Questionnaire (HIQ) and Sound Sensitivity Symptoms Questionnaire (SSSQ) Using a Clinical Population of Adult Patients with Tinnitus Alone or Combined with Hyperacusis. J Am Acad Audiol. 2022 Feb 23. doi: 10.1055/a-1780-4002. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35196727. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35196727/
- Danesh AA, Howery S, Aazh H, Kaf W, Eshraghi AA (2021). Hyperacusis in Autism Spectrum Disorders. Audiology Research, 11(4):547-556. https://doi.org/10.3390/audiolres11040049
- Aazh H, Danesh AA, Moore BCJ (2021). Self-reported Tinnitus Severity Prior to and During the COVID-19 Lockdown in the UK. J Am Acad Audiol. 2021 Oct;32(9):562-566. doi: 10.1055/s-0041-1731733. Epub 2022 Feb 17. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35176799/
- Aazh H, Danesh AA (2021). ONLINE FEATURE | Trilogy of Papers: Audiologist-Delivered Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Tinnitus and Hyperacusis. Audiology Today, March-April Online Issue, https://www.audiology.org/audiology-today-marchapril-2021/online-feature-trilogy-papers-audiologist-delivered-cognitive
- Aazh, H & Danesh, AA (2020). Internet-based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Tinnitus: Insights from Health Care Professionals. The Hearing Journal. First published online Wednesday, December 30, 2020
- Aazh H, Danesh AA, Moore BCJ (2020). Internal Consistency and Convergent Validity of the Inventory of Hyperacusis Symptoms. Ear Hear. 2020 Nov 30. doi: 10.1097/AUD.0000000000000982. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33259445. https://journals.lww.com/ear-hearing/Abstract/9000/Internal_Consistency_and_Convergent_Validity_of.98580.aspx
- Porcaro, C. Singer, C., Djokic, B., Danesh, A.A., Tappen, R. @ Engstrom, G. (2020). Perceived Voice Disorders in Older Adults and Impact on Social Interactions. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups. https://doi.org/10.1044/2020_PERSP-20-00059
- Aazh, H & Danesh, AA (2020). Tinnitus and Insomnia, The Hearing Journal: June 2020 - Volume 73 - Issue 6 - p 14,15. https://journals.lww.com/thehearingjournal/Fulltext/2020/06000/Tinnitus_and_Insomnia__Management_via.5.aspx
- Danesh, AA & Aazh, H (2020). Misophonia: A Neurologic, Psychologic, and Audiologic Complex. The Hearing Journal. Vol 73, pp20-23. https://journals.lww.com/thehearingjournal/Fulltext/2020/03000/Misophonia__A_Neurologic,_Psychologic,_and.5.aspx
- Aazh, H., Landgrebe, M., Danesh, AA & Moore, BCJ. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy For Alleviating The Distress Caused By Tinnitus, Hyperacusis And Misophonia: Current Perspectives. Psychology Research and Behavior Management, October 2019, Taylor & Francis, DOI: 10.2147/prbm.s179138. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31749641
- Danesh, AA (2019). Incorporating Tinnitus Management Services into your Audiology Practice. The Hearing Journal. Vol 72, pp22-23. https://journals.lww.com/thehearingjournal/Fulltext/2019/11000/Incorporating_Tinnitus_Management_Services_into.8.aspx
- Aazh, H., Landgrebe, M & Danesh, AA. (2019). Parental mental illness in childhood as a risk factor for suicidal and self-harm ideations in adults seeking help for tinnitus and/or hyperacusis. Press. American Journal of Audiology
- Porcaro, C.K., Alavi, E., Gollery, T., & Danesh, A.A. (2019). Misophonia: Awareness and Responsiveness Among Academics. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability, 108-118, 32 (2). https://www.ahead.org/professional-resources/publications/jped
- Aazh, H., Langguth, B. & Danesh, AA (2018). Parental separation and parental mental health in childhood and tinnitus and hyperacusis disability in adulthood: a retrospective exploratory analysis. Int J of Aud. 2018 Oct 1:1-6. doi: 10.1080/14992027.2018.1514470. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30272507
- Aazh, H., Danesh, AA & Moore, BCJ (2018). Parental mental health in childhood as a risk factor for anxiety and depression among people seeking help for tinnitus and hyperacusis. J of Am Acad Aud. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30446035
- Aazh H, Knipper M, Danesh AA, Cavanna AE, Andersson L, Paulin J, Schecklmann M, Heinonen-Guzejev M, & Moore BCJ (2018). Insights from the Third International Conference on Hyperacusis: Causes, Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Noise Health. 2018 Jul-Aug ;20(95):162-170. http://www.noiseandhealth.org/article.asp?issn=1463-1741;year=2018;volume=20;issue=95;spage=162;epage=170;aulast=Aazh;type=0
- Ocak, M, Eshraghi, R, Danesh, AA, Mittal, R & Eshraghi E (2018). Central Auditory Processing Disorders in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Balkan Medical Journal, June 2018. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326028400_Central_Auditory_Processing_Disorders_in_Individuals_with_Autism_Spectrum_Disorders?ev=project
- Danesh, AA, Shahnaz, N, & Hall, JW (2018). The Audiology of Otosclerosis. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2018 Apr; 51(2):327-342. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29397946
- Lavasani AN, Mohammadkhani G, Motamedi M, Karimi LJ, Jalaei S, Shojaei FS, Danesh A, Azimi H. (2016). Auditory temporal processing in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 60:81-5. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1525505016300312
- Uzma, A., Kaf, W, Danesh, A.A. & Lichtenhan, J (2016). Assessment of Low Frequency Hearing with Narrow-Band Chirp Evoked 40-Hz Sinusoidal Auditory Steady State Response. Int J Audiol. 55(4):239-47. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4962785/
- Naharci, M., Engstrom, G., Keintz, C., Danesh, A., Tappen, R. & Ouslander, J. (2016). Self-reported Hearing Loss is Associated with Frailty among Afro-Caribbeans. West Indian Medical Journal DOI: 10.7727/wimj.2016.174. https://www.mona.uwi.edu/fms/wimj/article/3028
- Danesh, A.A. (2016). What’s new in: Genetic testing for hearing impairment. ENT & Audiology News, May/June issue, Vol 25, No 2, pp. 69-70. http://www.entandaudiologynews.com/
- Danesh, AA., Lang, D, Kaf, A, Andreassen, W. Scott, J & Eshraghi, A. (2015). Tinnitus and Hyperacusis in Autism Spectrum Disorders with Emphasis on High Functioning Individuals Diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. Int J of Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 79(10):1683-8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26243502
- Nagashino, K., Kinouchi, Y., Danesh, A. A. & Pandya, S. (2015). A computational framework with simplified tonotopicity and homeostatic plasticity for tinnitus generation and its management by sound therapy. WSEAS Transaction on Biology and Biomedicine, Vol. 12, 2015, Art. #4, pp.20-30.
- Tessel, C. & Danesh, A. A. (2015). Maintenance of the Heritage Language: Examination of its Effects on Psychological Status, Family Relations, and Language Development in Children and Adolescents. Inter J of Speech & Lang Path & Audiol. Vol 3, Issue, 1, pp. 40-44. http://www.synergypublishers.com/downloads/ijslpav3n1a6/
- Danesh, A.A. (2015). Scientific Advances in mapping syndromic hearing loss. ENT & Audiology News, May/June issue, Vol 24, No 2, pp. 64-66. http://www.entandaudiologynews.com/
- Danesh, A.A. & Kaf, W. (2015). Putting Research into Practice for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Hearing Journal. 68(1):26,28,30. http://journals.lww.com/thehearingjournal/Fulltext/2015/01000/Putting_Research_into_Practice for_Autism_Spectrum.5.aspx
- Danesh, AA, Kaf, WA, Abdelhakiem, MK, Danesh, D & Scott, J. (2015). Auditory Manifestations and Intervention in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Austin J Autism & Relat Disabil. 2015;1(1): 1005. http://austinpublishinggroup.com/autism/currentissue.php
- Nagashino, K., Kinouchi, Y., Danesh, A. A. & Pandya, S. (2014). A computational model for tinnitus generation and its management by sound therapy, International Journal of Biology and Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 8, pp. 191-196.
- Nagashino, K., Kinouchi, Y., Danesh, A. A. & Pandya, S. (2014). Homeostatic plasticity and spike-time-dependent plasticity in computational modeling of tinnitus generation and its management by sound therapy, Int J of Biology and Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 8, pp. 6-14. http://www.naun.org/main/NAUN/bio/2014/a042001-289.pdf
- Danesh, A., Sohne, H. & Pineyro, R. (2013). Ehlers- Danlos Syndrome and its Otologic and Audiologic Attributes. MD-Medical Data 2013; 5(4): 367-371. www.md-medicaldata.com/files/10-MD-Vol%205%20No%204%20Danes%20Ali.pdf
- Mahmoudian S, Farhadi M, Najafi-Koopaie M, Darestani-Farahani E, Mohebbi M, Dengler R, Esser KH, Sadjedi H, Salamat B, Danesh AA, Lenarz T. (2013). Central auditory processing during chronic tinnitus as indexed by topographical maps of the mismatch negativity obtained with the multi-feature paradigm. Brain Res 1527:161-73. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23810454
- Kaf, W. & Danesh, A. (2013). Distortion-product otoacoustic emissions and contralateral suppression findings in children with Asperger's Syndrome. Int J of Ped Otolaryngol 77(6):947-54 (2013). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165587613001146
- Nagashino, K., Kinouchi, Y., Danesh, A. A. & Pandya, S. (2013).: Spike-time-dependent plasticity of excitation and inhibition in a neuronal network model for tinnitus relief with sound therapy, Int J of Biology and Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 6, Issue 3, pp. 165-173. http://www.naun.org/main/NAUN/bio/2010-100.pdf
- Nagashino, H., Fujimoto, K., Kinouchi, Y., Danesh, A. A. & Pandya, S. (2012). Inhibition of Oscillation in a Neural Oscillator Model for Sound Therapy of Tinnitus. Int J of Modeling and Simulation, Vol. 32, Issue 4, pp.279-285. http://www.actapress.com/Abstract.aspx?paperId=43130
- Danesh, A. & Kaf, W. (2012). DPOAEs and Contralateral Acoustic Stimulation and their link to Hypersensitivity in Children with Autism. Int J Audiol, 51 (4): 345-52. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22299666
- Nagashino, H., Kinouchi, Y., Danesh, A. A. & Pandya, S. (2012). A plastic neuronal network model with STDP for tinnitus management by sound therapy, Int J Math Models and Methods in Appli Sci, Vol. 6, Issue 1, pp. 90-97. http://www.naun.org/journals/m3as/17-401.pdf
- Manchaiah, V.K.C., Zhao, F., Danesh, A.A. & Duprey, R. (2010). The genetic basis of auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder (ANSD). Int. J. Pediatr. Otorhinolaryngol 75:151-158 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21176974
- Nagashino, H., Kinouchi, Y., Danesh, A. A. & Pandya, S. (2010). A neural oscillator model for tinnitus and its management by sound therapy. Int J of Modern Eng, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 58-66. http://www.ijme.us/issues/fall2010/IJME_Vol11_N1_Fall2010%20(PDW%20final3).pdf
- Danesh, A. (2010) Can Hearing Loss Influence Visual Processing? ENT & Audiology News. Best papers of the year section. Vol 19, No 5, page 82.
- Danesh, A. A., Buemi, M. & Keintz, C. (2010) Neurofibromatosis: Audiologic and Genetic Manifestations. Medical Data, Vol.2, No 3, pp 215-218. http://www.md-medicaldata.com/files/md-07-217-220_neurofibromatosis_audiologic.pdf
- Danesh, A. A., Cocchiola, E. & Pavlovic, M. (2010). Clinical Update: Hearing Loss and Advancements in Cochlear Hair Cell Regeneration. Medical Data, Vol 2, No 1. pp 25-28. . http://www.md-medicaldata.com/files/53-56_clinical_update.pdf
- Nagashino, H., Kinouchi, Y., Danesh, A. A. & Pandya, S. (2009). A neuronal network model for tinnitus and its management by sound therapy, Int J Biol & Biomed Eng. Issue 4 Vol, 3, pp. 43-50. http://www.naun.org/journals/bio/19-439.pdf
- Kaf, W. and Danesh, A. A. (2008) Air-Conduction Auditory Steady-State Response: Comparison of interchannel recording using two modulation frequencies. J Am Acad Audiol (JAAA) 19 (9) 696-707. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19418709
- Fujimoto, K., Nagashino, H., Kinouchi, Y., Danesh, A. A. & Pandya, S (2007). A Plastic Neural Network Model for Sound Therapy of Tinnitus. IEEJ Transactions on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 2, No.4, pp.488-490. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tee.20198/abstract
- Saul, R. and Danesh, A. (2003). Clinical Experience with a Dichotic Digit Test in the Assessment of Auditory Nervous System Integrity in Children. Iranian Audiology, 2.
- Danesh, A. (2002). Target Probability and inter-stimulus interval: comparison of their effects on the amplitude of P300 AERP. Iranian Audiology, 1, 22-27.
- Danesh, A. and Scott, J (2002). Distortion Product Otoacoustic Emission (DPOAE) findings in Children with Autism. Kavosh in Audiology, 1, 19-25.
Dr. Ali Danesh
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders / Communication Disorders Clinic
Office Location: ED 47 - 434