Graduate English Internship Program
Internships are extremely important for students pursuing careers related to English studies.The Department of English has developed a diverse internship program that allows students to gain hands-on experience in a wide variety of settings.
Our internship program is highly selective, not just in terms of academics, but also in terms of drive, hunger, and innovation. Our agencies capture our best talent, and many of our internships have become full-time paid positions for our students.
1) The student must be an English Creative Writing Graduate student (MFA) or English Masters of Arts (MA) student at Florida Atlantic University.
2) The student must have completed at least 18 credit hours (credit hour requirement may be waived for special circumstances).
3) The student must be residing in Florida and available for frequent on-campus meetings at the university.
4) The student must have no less than a 3.5 grade point average.
5) The student must submit one letter of recommendation from an FAU English faculty member from whom s/he has taken a course. The recommendation should be emailed from the faculty member directly to the Internship Director.
6) The student must meet with a career advisor from FAU’s Career Development Center to have their resume reviewed.
A final copy of the students resume must be signed off by the Career Development Center and submitted with the application. The final copy of the resume must earn a score of 36 or higher on the Career Development Center Resume Rubric.
* Please note: Some of our internship agencies require a cover letter and writing samples.
Top 5 Reasons to Pursue an Internship
1) Opportunity for “hands on” experience: While students may learn a great deal of information in their courses, there is no substitute for direct experience in a professional environment. Internships allow students to gain direct experience, and build skills through individual and collaborative assignments.
2) Opportunity to sample various career options: We encourage eligible students to do multiple internships with different agencies for the purpose of sampling different career areas. This enables students to find out where they might fit best in a professional environment.
3) Preparation for job searches: Students submit a resume and go through the interview process as if they were applying for a job. This gives students valuable experience in preparation for employment.
4) Compilation of a portfolio: As part of an internship, students will be compiling their work and a narrative of their professional progress in a portfolio. This portfolio helps students become self-aware about the internship learning process and the portfolio can later be shown to potential employers.
5) Potential employment opportunities and/or contacts: Internships can lead directly into employment opportunities. Although this is more the exception than the rule, internships certainly provide a student entry into a professional network. Contacts made through the internship can be valuable sources of information for securing eventual employment in one’s chosen field.
For more information, please contact Mary Sheffield-Gentry at firstname.lastname@example.org
The internship program at FAU is an opportunity all graduate students should take advantage of. I went into it already having significant work experience on my resume and still found the experience valuable because it was so specifically tailored to my career goals. I was placed in the digital department at NewBeauty magazine, writing copy and editing photos. It was an excellent opportunity to gain insight into writing for the web and to test the marketability of my voice in this genre. I also appreciated both the assistance and the autonomy my supervisor gave me. She made an excellent mentor and is someone I will not hesitate to reach out to in the future.
As a writer in the MFA Creative Writing program, the new graduate internship opportunity provided such great exposure to a more diverse writing experience. Working at Luxe Interiors and Design magazine gave me wonderful insight into a whole other writing process - one that is deeply collaborative and inspired by their readership. I loved learning how to make "art by deadline" - a unique craft that will inform both my creative and professional work to come.