Eligibility and Graduation Information
Steps to Graduation
Step 1: Meet the Degree Requirements
- Verify the anticipated completion of all degree requirements with your academic advisor.
- Undergraduate Candidates should run a DARS Report
- Graduate Candidates should have an approved Plan of Study on file with the Graduate College.
Step 2: Apply to Graduate
- Complete an Application for Degree and submit it to your college’s student support services office to obtain the proper signatures.
- Deadline to submit an Application for Degree for Spring 2021 is January 29, 2021.
- By completing the Application for Degree, you are applying for degree conferral. This does not mean you are participating in the Commencement Ceremony and are eligible for tickets. Please refer to Step 4 if you are planning to participate in the ceremony.
Step 3: Have Finances in Order
- Satisfy all financial obligations (fines, tickets and fees, etc.). Unpaid financial obligations will cause a delay in receiving your diploma & transcripts. You can view any outstanding balances on your MYFAU account.
Step 4: Participate in the Commencement Ceremony (Not Mandatory)
FAU will host two outdoor ceremonies on Thursday, April 29. The first ceremony will start at 9 a.m. and the second ceremony will start at 5 p.m.
Both ceremonies will be held in FAU Stadium and will be webcast on FAU.edu.
In the event of inclement weather, Friday, April 30, will be used as a back-up day. The wearing of face coverings will be required of all attendees.
Please continue to monitor your FAU email for updates.
*Spring, Summer, Fall 2020 Graduates*
Every effort will be made to ensure that graduates and their families are given the opportunity to participate in a future commencement ceremony.
The university hopes to provide an update on participation in future ceremonies during the Fall 2021 semester.
Late applications will be accepted and students may participate in the ceremony, however, please keep in mind that:
- A late application may result in your name not being included in the Commencement Brochure, FAU graduate celebration website or virtual commencement ceremony created to honor the graduating class.
- Late applicants are not guaranteed guest tickets to an in-person ceremony. They will be put on a ticket waitlist and will be notified if the request can be accommodated.
Degrees of Distinction (Latin Honors):
- Latin Honors will be noted in the Commencement Brochure based on the FAU GPA at time of application for degree deadline. Eligible undergraduate students will be able to purchase an honors cord in the bookstore with their cap and gown based on the GPA information submitted from the Registrar’s Office. For specific GPA criteria review the catalog at: Degree Honors Criteria.
- Once degrees are conferred, Official transcripts and diplomas will list Latin Honors information based on final semester grades.
Students who have a "Request for Non-Release of Directory Information" form on file will also be excluded from the Commencement Brochure unless written consent is received by the Registrar's Office at least 6 weeks prior to the ceremony.
Diplomas will be mailed out approximately 8 - 10 weeks after the semester ends. An email confirmation will be sent to the graduate's FAU email account once the diploma has been mailed.
We can also assist you with ordering a duplicate diploma. To order a duplicate diploma please submit the form and fee to the Office of the Registrar.