Eligibility and Graduation Information
Steps to Graduation
Step 1: Meet the Degree Requirements
- Verify the anticipated completion of all degree requirements with your academic advisor.
- Undergraduate Candidates should run a DARS Report
- Graduate Candidates should have an approved Plan of Study on file with the Graduate College.
Step 2: Apply to Graduate
- Complete an Application for Degree and submit it to your college’s student support services office to obtain the proper signatures.
- Deadline to submit an Application for Degree for Summer 2020 is June 5, 2020.
- By completing the Application for Degree, you are applying for degree conferral. This does not mean you are participating in the Commencement Ceremony and are eligible for tickets. Please refer to Step 4 if you are planning to participate in the ceremony.
Step 3: Have Finances in Order
- Satisfy all financial obligations (fines, tickets and fees, etc.). Unpaid financial obligations will cause a delay in receiving your diploma & transcripts. You can view any outstanding balances on your MYFAU account.
Step 4: Participate in the Commencement Ceremony (Not Mandatory)
*Commencement Summer 2020*
The State University System of Florida announced that all Florida public state universities have been directed to develop alternatives to in-person commencement ceremonies due to the continued COVID-19 health guidelines limiting gatherings.
An announcement will be made in the near future with details of how FAU plans to celebrate summer graduates.
Please monitor your FAU email for updates.
Late applications will be accepted and students may participate in the ceremony, however, please keep in mind that:
- A late application may result in your name not be included in the Commencement Brochure.
- Late applicants are not guaranteed guest tickets to the ceremony. They will be put on a ticket waitlist and will be notified if the request can be accommodated.
- A late application form needs to be submitted with the Application for Degree.
Degrees of Distinction (Latin Honors):
- Latin Honors will be noted in the Commencement Brochure based on the FAU GPA at time of application for degree deadline. Eligible undergraduate students will be able to purchase an honors cord in the bookstore with their cap and gown based on the GPA information submitted from the Registrar’s Office. For specific GPA criteria review the catalog at: Degree Honors Criteria.
- Once degrees are conferred, Official transcripts and diplomas will list Latin Honors information based on final semester grades.
Students who have a "Request for Non-Release of Directory Information" form on file will also be excluded from the Commencement Brochure unless written consent is received by the Registrar's Office at least 6 weeks prior to the ceremony.
Diplomas will be mailed out approximately 8 - 10 weeks after the semester ends. An email confirmation will be sent to the graduate's FAU email account once the diploma has been mailed.
We can also assist you with ordering a duplicate diploma. To order a duplicate diploma please submit the form and fee to the Office of the Registrar.