Studying Abroad

Studying abroad for a summer, semester, or year may be that defining moment in your educational career that will change your life forever and influence how you live your life. Studying abroad allows you to explore another culture, learn another language, try new foods, discover new sports, realize a new career path, impress potential employers, make new friends, and go on an amazing adventure!

Honors College students have studied abroad in countries including Australia, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, England, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, India, Italy, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Tanzania, Venezuela, and Vietnam.

How do I plan for my Study Abroad Experience?

The Honors College (HC), in partnership with the Florida Atlantic's Education Abroad staff, helps HC students add an overseas study abroad experience to their Florida Atlantic degree. Honors College students must complete at least four weeks abroad (total time spent abroad in the program) and earn at least 3 academic credits from Florida Atlantic or another approved, accredited institution in order to fulfill the non-classroom learning experience requirement. Students interested in studying abroad are strongly encouraged to begin planning a year to six months prior to the semester they wish to go abroad. Below are some helpful guidelines to help you get started on your path.

Note: International students must also consult with the Office of Diversity Services to learn of immigration requirements for study abroad. For further information, contact the Office of Diversity Services (SR 117, t.561.799.8585).

  • Survey the landscape of study abroad opportunities. Fill out the study abroad inquiry form, which will allow the Education Abroad staff to gather resources and information relevant to your particular interests and objectives. You will learn about options through Florida Atlantic, other universities and independent program providers.
  • Meet with your Study Abroad Advisor.
    Madison McShane, Assistant Director, Study Abroad, t.561.297.1080, the Jupiter campus representative from the Boca's Education Abroad, can assist you in planning and preparing to study abroad.
  • Receive pre-approval for your choice of coursework from your faculty advisor. This ensures that the courses will transfer and fulfill specific requirements of your curriculum as planned.
  • Decide on a program and apply. Once you have chosen your program, after consultation with both the Coordinator of Academic Programs and your faculty advisor, all students MUST complete the Study Abroad Application with the OIP prior to applying to your abroad program, including all supporting documentation and the applicable application fee.
  • Request your transcript from the institution abroad. The original transcript should be sent to:
        Florida Atlantic University
        Education Abroad
        Attention: Madison McShane
        777 Glades Road, GS 212Q
        Boca Raton, FL 33431

The Education Abroad staff will work with the Florida Atlantic Registrar’s Office to ensure that your credits and grades are appropriately posted on the Florida Atlantic transcript. A copy of the transcript will be forwarded to the Honors College for your file.

Study Abroad, the Honor College Additional Information for Flagler Scholars

Flagler Scholars are required to complete a study abroad experience before their senior year, and they should follow the specific guidelines for the Flagler Study Abroad Enrichment Program. For further questions regarding course registration, expense reimbursement, and other aspects related to specific requirements, contact David Flanigan, Director of Academic Support Services, HC 132, t.561.799.8622.

Core / Concentration Requirements

All coursework taken abroad must be pre-approved by the student’s faculty advisor in order to ensure that these courses fulfill Honors College core, concentration or other requirements.

Course Enrollment

All study abroad must be coordinated through Education Abroad. Students must complete a Study Abroad Application, including all supporting documentation and the application fee. Students enrolled in Florida Atlantic exchange and faculty-led programs are registered for the appropriate study abroad courses through the Education Abroad office. Students who choose study abroad programs offered through direct enrollment at other universities or program providers are responsible for requesting transcripts to be sent to the Education Abroad office upon completing their study abroad program. Students should be sure to get their program pre-approved by the Education Abroad office.

  • Dual-Enrollment. Dual enrollment refers to registration at two institutions—Florida Atlantic and the study abroad program’s sponsor institution. Students are responsible for paying tuition for courses at the HC and at the study abroad institution. Students must still check with their advisor beforehand to ensure that their coursework taken abroad will count towards their concentration or other degree requirements. Students who enroll in a study abroad program through another university need to ensure that the transcripts for coursework taken abroad are sent to Florida Atlantic and that there is documentation that these courses were taken abroad. After the transcript is received, the grades will be posted as credit for HC study abroad courses.
  • Enrollment through the study abroad program only. Courses taken abroad must still be pre-approved by the faculty advisor, but the student only enrolls at the study abroad institution. The Education Abroad staff validates that the study abroad program the student has chosen is accredited and will fulfill the non-classroom learning experience requirement at the Honors College. Students will not be enrolled in the HC while abroad and no HC courses will appear on the student’s schedule while studying abroad.

Eligibility for HC Scholarship and other Financial Aid

The Honors College Scholarship is given only to students enrolled full-time in HC courses during the fall and spring semesters. Students who study abroad in the fall or spring semesters or for an entire academic year and want to use their HC scholarship are required to dual-enroll in HC study abroad courses. Students who dual-enroll during fall and spring can use the HC scholarship to pay for their HC study abroad courses. Students who choose not to dual-enroll during the fall or spring semesters will not receive their HC scholarship.

Students may use Bright Futures and other sources of federal financial aid (such as loans) if they enroll in a study abroad program through another accredited institution in Florida. Students who enroll through study abroad programs outside of Florida cannot use Bright Futures, but may be eligible for other types of federal financial aid. These are general guidelines, and students are responsible for checking with the Office of Financial Aid regarding the use of financial aid for various study abroad programs.

Click on the button on the right for more information about financial aid for study abroad.

Study Abroad, the Honor College Study Abroad Coursework on Your Florida Atlantic transcript

Students enrolled in an Florida Atlantic study abroad program (exchange or faculty-led):

You will be pre-registered for the courses offered through the Florida Atlantic study abroad program that you selected. The courses will appear on your schedule and transcript just as they would if you registered for any other Florida Atlantic course.

Students enrolled in study abroad credits through another institution or program provider (also called Consortium Study Abroad Program):

  • Dual-enrolled: If you are dual-enrolled in HC credits and in credits at another institution, the grades and credits obtained abroad will be posted for each corresponding HC course after Education Abroad receives the study abroad transcript.
  • Not dual-enrolled: If you are only enrolled in the credits at the institution abroad, no coursework will appear on your Florida Atlantic transcript while you are abroad. After completing the program abroad, the study abroad transcript will be sent to Florida Atlantic and credits will be posted on your Florida Atlantic transcript similarly to any other courses that you would transfer from another institution.
Summer Abroad Program
in Spain