Caribbean & Latin American Studies Certificate
The Certificate in Caribbean and Latin American Studies integrates courses from across the University.
WELCOME, BIENVENIDOS, BEMVENIDOS!
Please accept our warm welcome to explore the Caribbean and Latin American Studies Certificate Program at FAU. This is an interdisciplinary program that integrates more than ten different academic departments across the university.
We offer a certificate in Caribbean and Latin American Studies. We hope you enroll in courses with professors who have done outstanding work on various aspects of the history, languages, and cultures of the Caribbean and Latin America. We hope to have our own Center for Caribbean and Latin American Studies someday, so as to promote greater understanding and knowledge of the region, as well as encourage more collaborataive research and exhange programs.
The Certificate in Caribbean and Latin American Studies is awarded to students completing multidisciplinary studies of the Caribbean and Latin America in conjunction with an academic major, usually in one of the departments represented in the curriculum. The Certificate is approximately the equivalent of a "minor." The program seeks to provide students with both an overview of Caribbean and Latin American heritage as well as an opportunity to study several disciplines focused on the region. Successful completion of the program will prepare students for a wide range of job opportunities and graduate programs dealing with the Caribbean and Latin America.
- To promote intellectual discussion, research, and teaching on Latin America and the Caribbean — the peoples, cultures, history, politics, and society of Latin America and the Caribbean.
- To promote the interests of students, faculty, and community in this rich and diverse region.
- To encourage civic engagement through network building and public debate.
- To develop links of cooperation and exchange between individuals and institutions interested in the region.
Our Unique Advantage
The Caribbean and Latin American Studies certificate at Florida Atlantic University provides a unique opportunity:
- To work with faculty, students, and most importantly, a vibrant community from this region that has helped make South Florida a gateway to Latin America.
- To increase understanding of Caribbean and Latin American peoples and cultures, through an extensive academic and public program and opportunities for study abroad.
- To build bridges to other institutions, and between disciplines and individuals throughout South Florida and the Americas.
News and Events
The 17th annual South Florida Latin American and Caribbean Studies Graduate Student Conference will take place at University of Miami on March 23, 2019.
Recent Publications by CLAS Faculty
Interwoven: Andean Lives in Colonial Ecuador's Textile Economy (2018) by Rachel Corr, Ph.D. Associate Professor of Anthropology | Wilkes Honors College | Florida Atlantic University
La nación y su escritura: colección de voces dominicanas 1965-2017 (2018) by Dr. Cañete Quesada, Ph.D. Associate Professor of Spanish | WIlkes Honors College | Florida Atlantic University
The Spiritual Conquest: Early History of the Jesuit Missions in Paraguay (2017) by Barbara A. Ganson, Ph.D. Professor of History+ Director of Caribbean and Latin American Studies and Clinia M. Saffi | Florida Atlantic University