Understanding The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal Law that protects the privacy of student education records. As such, releasing of education records to parents or third parties is generally prohibited without the student's specific consent to release the information.
A student’s consent is NOT required to disclose information to:
- Florida Atlantic University officials with legitimate educational interest;
- Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
- Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
- Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
- Accrediting organizations;
- To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
- Appropriate officials in cases of health or safety emergencies.
Florida Atlantic University may disclose what is known as “directory information” on a student without violating FERPA. Directory Information includes a student's:
- telephone number,
- date and place of birth,
- major, dates of attendance,
- degrees and awards received,
- enrollment status (full time, half-time, etc.), and
- most recent previous school attended.
Students who do not wish to release their Directory Information must complete the Request for Non-Release of Directory Information form.
So, what does this mean for you, the student?
With specific exceptions (listed above), you must submit a signed and dated consent form if you wish to grant access to your education records to your parents or any other third party. Florida Atlantic University cannot discuss your records with your parents or another third party unless we have a signed FERPA authorization naming that person in your file.
You are not required to sign the FERPA Authorization. Additionally, you can amend your authorization by submitting a new authorization at any time.
For additional information on FERPA, please refer to: https://www.fau.edu/registrar/records/ferpa.php
If you have any questions regarding your FERPA rights or the FERPA waiver, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (561) 297-3050 or email@example.com
Florida Atlantic University
Office of the Registrar