The Associate Of Arts Degree
Students may be awarded the Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree in one of two ways:
- Students who have completed a minimum of 30 credits from one Florida Public College may qualify to have their degree awarded by that institution in a process known as Reverse Transfer .
- Students who qualify for the A.A. Reverse Transfer will need to complete the A.A. Reverse Transfer Authorization form.
- Students who do not qualify for the Reverse Transfer awarding of the A.A. degree or prefer to have FAU award the A.A. degree will complete A.A. Application .
In either instance, students should not submit the appropriate form until they have received notification from the Registrar’s Office that they have met the minimum requirements for the A.A. degree.
Students may not submit both forms or be awarded more than one A.A. degree from more than one Florida public institution of higher education.
The FAU Associate of Arts (AA) Degree may be awarded to students who:
- Earn a minimum of 60 credits in academic courses acceptable toward the degree with at least a cumulative 2.0 FAU GPA.
- Earn a minimum of 40 of the 60 credits at the lower-division (1000-2000) level as indicated by the Statewide Course Numbering System (SCNS) designations or their equivalents.
- Earn a minimum of 30 of the 40 lower-division (1000-2000) credits at FAU. (This may be waived for students who transfer more than 30 lower-division degree-applicable credits from a single Florida public state college.)
- Earn a minimum of 30 of the 60 credits in residence at FAU and complete the last semester in residence at FAU.
- Apply no more than 30 credits of non-traditional credit toward the degree earned through Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Correspondence Courses, International Baccalaureate (IB) or Military Service Schools, subject to limits for each as stated in the Academic Policies and Regulations section of this catalog. Credits earned in this manner will be considered transfer credits.
- Fulfill the Intellectual Foundations Program requirements.
- Satisfy the Writing Across Curriculum (Gordon Rule) and Gordon Rule Computation Skills requirements.
- Meet the Foreign Language Entrance Requirement (FLENT).
- Complete the Florida Civic Literacy Requirement (for students who initially entered a Florida college system institution or a state university in fall 2018 and thereafter).
Note: Students must apply for the A.A. degree prior to the semester in which their baccalaureate degree is awarded. If students do not complete the requirements for their baccalaureate degree, they must request their Associate of Arts degree within five (5) years of completing all requirements for that degree. Additionally, students with an "I" (incomplete grade) or "NR" (no reported grade) on their transcripts may not apply for the A.A. degree until the "I" and/or "NR" grades are resolved.