Need Based Employment Programs
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need-based federally funded part-time employment program, which allows eligible students to earn money to help pay for education expenses. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year to be considered for federal financial aid, including FWS.
Returning Work Study Students:
Students who have been awarded any of the need-based employment programs may either return to an existing position or access the Get a Job! Database and follow the instructions to find a position. Students are awarded on a "first come" basis. Once returning students have been awarded:
- Log on to MyFAU
- Click on the Money Matters tab
- Click on View My Financial Aid Information
- Click on Financial Aid Status tile/box.
- From there, you will click on the “here” link to accept/decline awards (you may be prompted to select Award Year)
- Click on the Terms & Conditions tab and accept terms
- Click on the Accept Award Offer tab to accept/decline Work Study
- Students who have never been awarded Federal Work Study at FAU must apply to the Office of Student Financial Aid by submitting the Need Based Employment Application . The Office of Student Financial Aid will contact you when funds are available.
- Completed FAFSA on file.
- If you have NOT been awarded Federal Work Study, but wish to be considered, you MUST meet the following eligibility criteria (steps 2-7 below):
- Have already received an award offer that did not include Federal Work Study.
- Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of less than 10,000. Click here for more information.
- Have unmet need. Click here for information on the calculation of need.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Requirements. Click here for more information on the SAP Policy.
- Be enrolled at least half-time at FAU
- Submit the
Need Based Employment Application
to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
The Florida Work Experience Program is a State of Florida funded need based program providing eligible Florida students the opportunity to secure work experiences complementary to and which reinforce the student's educational and career goals.
Recipients of the Florida Work Experience Program may work on campus in positions that complement and reinforce academic and career goals, or off campus in local public after school programs. All recipients of the FWEP program MUST be Florida Residents.
In order to be considered for the Florida Work Experience Program (FWEP), you must also meet eligibility requirements, numbers 1 through 6, listed above and submit the Need Based Employment Application. All applications are processed based on the availability of funding.
Student who have NOT been awarded any of the need-based employment programs must:
- Complete the Need Based Employment Application.
- Verify eligibility with the Office of Student Financial Aid
- Once eligibility is confirmed, students then access the Get a Job! Database and find an appropriate position.
The hiring department completes the Need Based Placement Forms. The student must return these forms to the Office of Student Financial Aid, to be awarded.
- Login to MyFAU
- Under the Money Matters tab, Click on the Get a Job! Database link
Office of Student Financial Aid
Student Support Services Building SU 80 #233
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Phone: (561) 297-3680
Hours: Monday - Thursday from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM and Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Send questions to Cassandre Mathurin at email@example.com.
Need Based Employment assistance is also available on all partner campuses.