Need Based Employment Programs
FEDERAL WORK-STUDY BASICS
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need-based federally funded part-time employment program, which allows eligible students to earn money to help pay for education expenses. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year to be considered for federal financial aid, including FWS.
Returning Work Study Students:
Students who have been awarded any of the need-based employment programs may either return to an existing position or access the Get a Job! Database and follow the instructions to find a position. Students are awarded on a "first come" basis. Once returning students have been awarded:
- Log on to MyFAU
- Click on the Money Matters tab
- Click on View My Financial Aid Information
- Click on Financial Aid Status tile/box.
- From there, you will click on the “here” link to accept/decline awards (you may be prompted to select Award Year)
- Click on the Terms & Conditions tab and accept terms
- Click on the Accept Award Offer tab to accept/decline Work Study
- Students who have never been awarded Federal Work Study at FAU must apply to the Office of Student Financial Aid by submitting the Need Based Employment Application . The Office of Student Financial Aid will contact you when funds are available.
FWS ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Completed FAFSA on file. The FAU priority deadline is March 1st.
- If you have NOT been awarded Federal Work Study, but wish to be considered, you MUST meet the following eligibility criteria (steps 2-7 below):
- Have already received an award offer that did not include Federal Work Study.
- Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of less than 10,000. Click here for more information.
- Have unmet need. Click here for information on the calculation of need.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Requirements. Click here for more information on the SAP Policy.
- Be enrolled at least half-time at FAU
- Submit the Need Based Employment Application to the Office of Student Financial Aid. We will begin to start accepting application on May 1, 2014.
OFF-CAMPUS COMMUNITY SERVICE / LITERACY PROGRAMS (FWSOFF)
Florida Atlantic University encourages work-study students to become involved with our local community. A portion of the Federal Work-Study budget is allocated for participation in community service jobs. Community Service Jobs include positions that “are designed to improve the quality of life for community residents or to solve particular problems related to their needs”. These positions include designated tutors to improve reading skills and enhance family literacy throughout the community.
The Florida Work Experience Program is a State of Florida funded need based program providing eligible Florida students the opportunity to secure work experiences complementary to and which reinforce the student's educational and career goals.
Recipients of the Florida Work Experience Program may work on campus in positions that complement and reinforce academic and career goals, or off campus in local public after school programs. All recipients of the FWEP program MUST be Florida Residents.
REQUIREMENTS for FWSOFF or FWEP:
In order to be considered for either the Off-Campus Community Service (FWSOFF) or the Florida Work Experience Program (FWEP), you must also meet eligibility requirements, numbers 1 through 6, listed above and submit the Need Based Employment Application. We will begin to start accepting application on May 1, 2014.
The priority consideration for Need Based Employment application will start on:
- FALL semester: May 1st
- SPRING semester: December 2nd
- SUMMER semester: February 1st
All applications are processed based on the availability of funding.
Students who have been awarded in any of the need-based employment programs may either return to an existing position or access the Get a Job! Database and follow the instructions to find a position. Students are awarded on a "first come" basis.
Student who have NOT been awarded any of the need-based employment programs must:
- Complete the Need Based Employment Application
- Verify eligibility with the Office of Student Financial Aid
- Once eligibility is confirmed, students then access the Get a Job! Database and find an appropriate position.
The hiring department completes the Need Based Placement Forms. The student must return these forms to the Office of Student Financial Aid, to be awarded.
Before beginning a job, a student MUST sign in with Student Employment, located in the Administration Building, and complete all required steps. Click here for more details and instructions for new student employees.
HOW TO POST WORK STUDY POSITIONS? (FAU Departments ONLY)
WHERE TO FIND A NEED BASED POSITION? (For Eligible Students ONLY)
- Log in to MyFAU
- Under Money Matters tab, click on the "Get a Job!" Database link
Office of Student Financial Aid
Student Support Services Building SU 80 #233
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Phone: (561) 297-3680 or (561) 297-1009
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Send questions to Tatiana Santamaria at email@example.com.
Need Based Employment assistance is also available on all partner campuses.